Don't waste your money

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

This plane is not worth $325. Look for an old Stanley or pay much more and get something that works without lots of filing, grinding, smoothing, sharpening, and frustration.

There are plenty of them on eBay for less than $200 and some less than $100. These old Stanleys are easy to clean up and put to work with minimum effort.

I have had several Kuntz planes come through my sharpening workshops. They are a pain to get working. I can tune 4 Stanleys to make fine shavings in the time it takes to get a Kunz
roughly working.

Last edited:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have never liked that brand. Cheap junk. A waste of time and money as Mike says.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
If you're actually going to use a compass plane, I recommend the #20 over the #113. Its a whole lot more stable and easier to push. I did a job needing a compass plane and tried my 113 first because it was a cool looking plane. It did sort of OK. As an experiment, I put my #20 to use thinking because it was different and more modern, it wouldn't be as good. Wrong. I like my 113 planes as ornamental vintage gizmos that look cool on the wall but If I've actually got to use one, then its the #20 that's in my hands.

The observations on Kuntz tools are tactfully gentle based on my experiences with them.

1  113 and 20 .jpg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If you're actually going to use a compass plane, I recommend the #20 over the #113. Its a whole lot more stable and easier to push. I did a job needing a compass plane and tried my 113 first because it was a cool looking plane. It did sort of OK. As an experiment, I put my #20 to use thinking because it was different and more modern, it wouldn't be as good. Wrong. I like my 113 planes as ornamental vintage gizmos that look cool on the wall but If I've actually got to use one, then its the #20 that's in my hands.

The observations on Kuntz tools are tactfully gentle based on my experiences with them.

View attachment 197427
Thanks for the info, will look for #20 in future.

My wife says I have no tact. I must say I worded that very carefully.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I like to be told just as it is and not find out later after losing some $ ...the rest of the story! Tell us anytime Mike...Might save us $ and frustration!!

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I purchased and refurbished a compass plane. However, i find that I rarely use it. The Spokeshave typically dies an excellent job at smoothing curves

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS