Don't leave MT tools mounted when not in use!

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
Under humid conditions, a Morse-taper mounted tool can develop corrosion and get stuck if left mounted in the lathe spindle for too long when not in use! :eusa_doh:

DAMHIKT!

John

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Good tip, I never really thought of that. I leave my pen mandrel, spur center, or drill chuck in the spindle until the next time I need to used the lathe. It has been kind a humid 'round here lately, and gonna get worse.
Thanks!
Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I read for a shaper to put a bit of oil on the shaft so the spindle wouldn't rust up. I don't know if you can do that for a lathe, but would anti-sieze compound help or would it cause problems?

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
I read for a shaper to put a bit of oil on the shaft so the spindle wouldn't rust up. I don't know if you can do that for a lathe, but would anti-sieze compound help or would it cause problems?

I don't really know about that, but I'm guessing that might cause problems with the normal grip of the MT. I would prefer to be conservative and remove the MT when not in use. A little oil or WD-40 is probably a good idea while stored, and wiped off when ready for use.

Are there any experienced machinists around here that could provide input on this question?

John

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
My brother in law works for a place in South Carolina that cuts metal from rolls.... He told me that WD-40 actually causes metals to rust... He said something about it is more of a cleaner then a oil... I dont know if this is true or not. But I figure he should know..

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Taper joints rely on friction to hold, so lubricant is not a good idea. Clean with DNA before installing. After installing, WD-40 applied frequently will prevent rust (the WD stands for water displacing, and it is a light oil designed for spraying into tight places to displace and water or moisture in it. It is not designed as a long term corrosion preventive, and it does not cause corrosion. Lack of routine application is the cause for moisture entering and causing corrosion). After installing the taper joint, spray with Boshield T-9, LPS-3, Amalgard, or old fashioned CPC (any product listed as a corrosion preventive compound) to prevent it from rusting.

JMTCW
Go

dozer

Mike
I use paste wax on my mt2 and have not had any problems. I also have a stainless steel pen mandrel which eliminates some of that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS