Domino XL for ~$250

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I was just messing around, dreaming a bit, and googled the Domino DF700, the big one. Amazon came up at $1500 like everybody else but then I clicked on their "other sources" tab and a supplier came up at less than $250. Delivery is late August to early September suggesting it is coming in from overseas. Condition is used but like new.

I decided to take a chance. It comes with Amazon delivery terms including refunds/returns. So if it isn't what is described I can just return it. I may not learn more for over a month but I'll put in an update when I learn if this is a real "deal". For now all I know is I got an order confirmation from Amazon.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
I was abit worried since the delivery date is over 30 days away but it looks like Amazon return policy is within 30 days of delivery. But this definitely falls under the category of "if it sounds too good to be true...." to me. The company selling it has 31 reviews in past 12 months. Good luck, lol

Dan Bowman

New User
Dan Bowman
I've tried to jump on these sort of Amazon "deals" before and they have always cancelled the order within a day or two and refunded the money. The only time it ever worked out was when Starrett advertised 4" squares for $5, and they honored the purchase.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I won't be holding my breath. If it was on ebay or something I wouldn't have done it. But I haven't had trouble with Amazon. I kind of expect something to arrive but it not be the DF700. But if it is, as long as it works, it's a heck of a deal. I think the odds that I have to return something or otherwise have a hassle are at least as great as I get the DF700 at this price. But $250 for a DF700...

JimD

Jim
Senior User
The only thing that makes me a little bit optomistic is that Festool is allowed to fix the prices their products sell at in the U. S. but not world wide. There are lots of reports of people buying the loose tenons from European sources at roughly half what they sell for here. But the machines sold in Europe are not for 110V circuits. That is another possibility for what I could get, a machine made for use on a different voltage. If so, it will get returned. But maybe I will get what was advertised.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Jim, if this is not set up for 110v, it is probably 220. You may have 220 in your shop or you could look into a step-up transformer. Some European countries are set up on 50 hz, not the 60 we use here, but the tools still work, just a little bit faster. For that price, you can adjust quite a bit and still come out way ahead.

Roy G

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
OK I've thrown my hat in the ring for this $260 domino as well. If it's a scam, well, I have Amazon's return policy and my credit card guarantee as a backup. I will be amazed if something comes of it, but you never know. I just hope that these didn't fall off of a truck.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
not only is voltage different, they is also a difference of frequency (50Hz vs 60 Hz). Most modern power supplies compensate for power, but I would check prior to plugging it into one of your electrical receptacles. You may also have a different plug/connector to have to deal with...

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Still nothing but the Amazon confirmation but the few things I've ordered that came from overseas on Amazon have been just like most Amazon orders - silence until it shows up. I did double check and the model number on my order is for the 110V U. S. version with the add on pieces (not the bare tool). It is 574447 and the full description is "574447 XL DF 700".

I'm hoping this works out like when I got the WorkSharp 3000 several years ago near Christmas. Home Depot had it for about half price on their website and I saw a note somebody had posted. I jumped on it and got one. HD later fixed their website but a few of us lucked out. But this is less than half price even considering it's used.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Richard, I looked after seeing your note and mine is canceled too. Too good to be true. Still not sorry I tried it. Occasionally these kind of things pan out.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Yeah! They panned out TODAY on Amazon... Amazon was selling a $13000 camera lens for $94 for a Prime Day special, and apparently Amazon has confirmed that they're honoring the price.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors