Dogwood box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
I just joined yesterday, so I am showing projects I have made over the past year right now. I made this Dogwood box for my wife. While the construction is not complex with box corners, I did take my time with the construction.

The box is 7 X 9 X 4 1/2". The lid and base are two pieces, butted together. The hinges are those expensive $20 milled hinges from WCrafters, and it also has those little button milled brass feet.

The box is finished to a 2000 grit. If you have never worked with Dogwood, it takes a tremendous shine and will be glass smooth without a finish. I 'think' this has a polyurethane finish on it, but memory fails me sometimes. The wood shows a little spalting, some ray flakes, and a little heartwood.

The front face has an inlay of Kauri wood that I lined up very carefully when I was cutting it off of my stock, so it would have balance for its chatoyancy. The corners have a full-length biscuit. I cut a shallow kerf (one blade pass) with my table saw, and then had a thin piece of dogwood that fit perfectly.

The top inside rim of the base (where the lid rests) has two little rare earth magnets, one on each corner. the underside of the lid has two nail heads just below the surface that create just enough pull for the magnets. It gives some resistance, but won't hold it shut if you turn the box upside down.

I guess, due to the type of wood, this piece made the 'gallery' in the online woodcrafters magazine one month last year.

I don't have the equipment or skill yet to make fancy tongue/groove corners or mitered corners, as my shop is not yet fully equipped, but I plan on doing enough in the shop to justify the cost....soon!

Dave Peterson

dogwoodbox.jpg

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
That is one pretty looking box!

The inlay really compliments the color of the dogwood.

Simple but very elegant.

Well done!:icon_thum:icon_thum

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS