Dogwood Bowl Blanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
So one of the recent storms blew down a neighbors dogwood tree. So I asked them if I could have it. (My wife thinks I'm crazy, of course so does my neighbor now.) Well I'm glad I got it. Here's a couple of bowl blanks and what's left after them.

DSC01776.JPG

DSC01777.JPG

DSC01778.JPG

Don't mind the 2x4's. They are building a house down the road and I went dumpster diving. My brother wants to build a workbench, nothing better than free wood!

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
You are crazy, please listen to the wife and neighbor and send them to me:rotflm::rotflm:. Just kidding, that should make some beautiful turnings.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Looks great Phillip - I am going to cut a Dogwood down this fall because it is leaning over the driveway to much - what diamenter does one need to turn anything out with?

Phillip

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Start hounding Jeremy, he's got one of them now ;-)

I haven't turned a bowl on my lathe yet, and I don't have a chucks for it either, but I believe I'm gonna have to try it using a face plate.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
what diamenter does one need to turn anything out with?

Depends on what you want to turn ;-) I'll let someone else give you more specific information. From what I've gathered any size is good turning size. It just depends on how big a piece your lathe can handle.

This one was about 10" dia at the bottom, so these will turn a small bowl, but they should be very pretty.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Oh, I agree - The wood looks great - I don't have a lathe but I know someone just down the highway that has one - TracyP

Any time you want to try your hand at turning, come see me. I am a beginner so we can learn together:thumbs_up

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Thanks for the pieces of the dogwood, Phillip. I've sealed the ends and hope to get to them soon. I'll be out of town this weekend, so might not happen for a week or more, but I'll spin them soon! If you have any more you want to get rid of ... hmmmm ... call me.

Rod

New User
Rod
Spalted Dogwood. Those are keepers for sure. Make sure to seal the ends at least if not all of the exposed wood. Use a torch and drip some wax on there if you have nothing else. The torch will help spread it around also.

When you turn those big-uns', be careful and make sure they are on tight. That dogwood is hard stuff. You don't want it flying off.

Nice find!!!!
Rod

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Phillip,

I have Anchorseal and a big lathe with chuck... anytime! Also have alcohol to soak the bowls in after you turn them. Bring the little guy and make a weekend of it. I think my girls would play with him for a while. :rotflm:

Rob

New User
Rob
When you coming back to Sanford bro?

Looks great, be sure to post a finished project.

Kalai

New User
Chris Kalai Allen
wow, that is some nice looking wood, I wonder why they call it Dogwood? Does it bark :)
Aloha.

Kalai

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Beautiful ! Dogwood is one of my favorites.

But I don't see how it could be from a "recent" storm and so heavily spalted already ? Is dogwood really prone to rot or something ?

-Mark

skeeter

New User
Charles
"(My wife thinks I'm crazy, of course so does my neighbor now.) "

Yea, crazy like a fox. Awesome looking Dogwood.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Beautiful ! Dogwood is one of my favorites.

But I don't see how it could be from a "recent" storm and so heavily spalted already ? Is dogwood really prone to rot or something ?

-Mark

The root ball had roted away, that's what caused the tree to fall. I'm guessing it's been on it's last leg for a while. But this tree was standing a week ago.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
That is some really nice wood. If you end up with any pen blank sizes let me know. I wouldn't mind picking up some from you. Let me know what you would want for a handful of them.

Rod

New User
Rod
I have used paint only on the ends of large timber when I had nothing else. I have never used it on turning blanks and the such, in fear that the pigment would soak into it and ruin the natural coloring of the wood. I have heard that it works though.

Will the wax work better than several THICK coats of latex paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS