Dog cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcrist

New User
Andy
Does anyone have experience making a dog cage? Im looking to make an indoor one for my puppy. Hes full size now at 7.8 lbs :) (miniature dachshund)

The issue I see is that he might get nibble happy and bite the inside when im not around.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
No experience making a dog cage, but it doesn't sound like it would be too difficult. Potential chewing could be an issue, athough I don't know how much damage a little dog like that could do. It would be a fun project, but it probably would cost more and not last as long as the metal kennels sold at pet stores.
Dave:)

Charles M

New User
Charles
I have experience building bird cages and have a couple of mini dachs but haven't built them a cage. One word of advice is to be careful what you choose for wire, especially if he's a chewer. Galvanized wire may not be a good thing since he could ingest too much zinc. If you can find some of the square wire panels (I think they are 12" X 12") that have the plastic connector pieces and are used to make shelving you could use them for doors and other openings.

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
We saw a nice setup (on TV) that uses the Kennel Cab plastic boxes with a decorative piece of furniture built around it. The plastic Kennel Cab actually houses the dog and the wood is used to hide the kennel cab.
It was shown on "I Want That" on HGTV or DIY.
Using the kennel cab makes it easier to clean and makes it safer for the dogs.

cskipper

Cathy
I have used the from pet stores as well. They also aided in house-breaking I never built furniture around it, but I didn't do woodworking then. Dogs like to have a cave-type place to curl up - especially when they are little. There were times when I couldn't find a dog during the day and that's where she was at. Now, because we were slack with our current boxers, the living room couch is their's. When we finish remodeling the living room and get new furniture we will have a battle.

Puppies will chew on EVERYTHING. Be sure they have plenty of items they are allowed to chew on (and please remember that a chew toy that looks like a shoe really looks like a shoe - so to them they are the same thing! :lol: )

DavidF

New User
David
I would second DaveO's answer - go with the shop bought cage or plastic crate; sometimes it's just not worth the effort to re-invent the wheel.

TimRice

New User
Tim
I want to chime in with DaveO as well. Little puppies can chew through material better than a shop shaw when left unattended. I've got a whippet that did some serious damage to my house before we got her broken of the chewing habit.

Also, if you plan to go ahead and build a dog house/cage, I suggest you check with your Vet to see if there are any plants/woods/ finishing products that should be avoided based on your breed.

helmswatch

New User
Duke
One word on dog chewing......HOT SAUCE!

Irene even puts it on the vacume since my baby Bleau likes to chase it and bite at it....

Attachments

• Dare you to take my baby!.JPG
    Dare you to take my baby!.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 229

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Man o Man, Duke.

He even has the look of guilt written all of his face!!

Wayne

cpowell

New User
Chuck
The wire kennels are great. We have a rat terrier and a Shih-poo and the kennel is their home. Easy to keep spotlessly clean, can be loaded up in the truck for trips/vacations. Will last FOREVER.

Chuck

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
I just opened my Orvis catalog and saw they have a furniture crate. Very nicley done and pretty easy to copy, I would imagine. http://www.orvis.com
Item number SD99HE. Er...$549 for that price you can make a few out of maple. LOL

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Sharp Blade said:
I just opened my Orvis catalog and saw they have a furniture crate. Very nicley done and pretty easy to copy, I would imagine. http://www.orvis.com
Item number SD99HE. Er...$549 for that price you can make a few out of maple. LOL

That does look like an interesting project. Thanks for posting that Anna.

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Those are very cool. Not a fan of the pine, but... I do think that is a fair price they are charging, it would take me at least 2 weekend to make that, not counting finishing.
Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS