Does the Dust Deputy meet all your needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
I think that I have too much stuff taking up space in my workshop. One item that I am looking at and thinking that I can get rid of is my dust collector which is hooked up to a trash can separator.

I also have a dust deputy hooked up to a shop vac. What I have been doing is using the larger unit for items that take a 4 inch hose (Planer and jointer) and the dust deputy for items that take a smaller hose (my table saw, hand held sander). If I get rid of the larger dust collector, will I be disappointed long term with the dust deputy?

I would say that currently I have been happy with each unit. It really comes down to trying to save some space.

For what it's worth, I am trying to do more hand work, but know that there will always be a place for power tools for larger jobs.

Will appreciate any thoughts.

Greg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Have you tried the Dust Deputy with the planer?

I had a 1hp dust collector and it would not keep the chips cleared from my planer.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I used to use a dust Deputy, but it couldn't keep up with my planer or jointer. I replaced it with a Laguna 16-gal Cyclone Canister and added a Thien baffle to the Laguna. That keeps up with the planer and jointer quite well. It still needs emptying more often than a full scale dust collection system, but as a hobbyist I'm fine with that.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I love mine, but it is called the Dust Deputy, not the Chip Deputy. :D

Seriously it does have a hard time keeping up if too much is coming in. Chips don't fall down the sides as quickly as dust, either. I like watching stuff swirl around when I am cleaning up and chips swirl much longer.

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
Mike, I would say the dust collector with the Woodcraft Trash Can separator worked fine with the planer and jointer - perhaps met my needs is more accurate- but I thought the results were fine. I will need to get an adapter to hook up the dust deputy to the planer or jointer.

Andy, Understand that it has a harder time keeping up. Have you used yours with larger tools. As Jim commented, as a hobbyist that may be fine for me.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
With the planer, I have an antique table top and I have it mounted so that it fills a space below it then I stop and clear it then start again. So I can't say for sure that it would not have kept up but I do have to vacuum up the chips in waves; stick the hose in and it bogs, wait for the chips to drop and do it again. I have a weak Quiet Series Shop Vac though (a trade off I am happy I made 95% of the time).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS