Does Anyone Use This Plywood?

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
I received an email from HD this week promoting "Select Cabinet-Grade 3/4" Radiata Pine Plywood." I have used radiata for door and window trim and molding, purchased at a local lumber yard, and like it very much. I realize radiata ply would not be the same quality as Baltic birch but may be suitable for shop furniture.

If anyone has used this product, please comment.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I've used a bunch of it as substrate for laminate. No voids in better face,and very few in inner plys, till you get to back face. Doesn't do well outside, as it turns BLACK very quickly when exposed to the weather. I have a full size sheet that I used for stretching window screen material, and during hurricane power outages for cover over generator. That's how I know it turns black quickly when exposed to weather.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I just used a sheet to build a flip cart for my shop last month. See this post. I'd definitely use it again. Cost about 30% less than the HD hardwood ply, the stack at the store was flat and not warped, and I don't remember noticing a lot of voids.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Barry, I use it for various projects when doing cabinet installations. The price is right and it fits the bill for structural support.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I've used roughly half a dozen sheets. It isn't current in stock at my local HD - at least it wasn't last weekend. Most of the sheets I've used were for stuff in the shop. My main shop table, used as an assembly and outfeed table, is made of this. I also have a painted cabinet in my bathroom made of it. I bought birch and maple plywood for my current project which will be painted. But the dresser I recently finished was made of Sandeply and it definitely takes paint worse than the Chillean pine plywood.

I don't think it is great plywood but it is pretty good for the price. I would use it again for painted furniture but prefer birch or maple face veneer. The interior plys are pretty good in this pine plywood but not completely free of voids. The face veneers are good on one side and sometimes really nice on the back side - that varies. I've also used sub-floor plywood in the shop before and this stuff is LOTS better than subfloor plywood.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Radiata pine grows very well in the southern Hemisphere and there are renewable tree farms growing it in South America, Australia, and New Zealand.

Members like it fine for shop projects and the price is low.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I've used it for shop cabs. Veneer is very thin you have to use 80 tooth fine cut blade and sand as little as possible.

It actually stains quite well.

IMG_1217.JPG

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Thanks to all who shared their experiences with Radiata pine plywood. I bought a couple of sheet at the University Parkway HD (Winston-Salem) and the front face looks good.

By the way James (beloitdavisja) I bought this ply to build a flip cart (this one). The one you built looks great.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
By the way James (beloitdavisja) I bought this ply to build a flip cart (this one). The one you built looks great.

If you're anything like me, you'll wonder why you didn't make one ages ago. One reason I chose the design I went with is that both tools plugin to a surge protector inside the rotating shelf, so there's only one plug to worry about and I don't have to unplug and wrap the cord when I flip it over.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
If you're anything like me, you'll wonder why you didn't make one ages ago. One reason I chose the design I went with is that both tools plugin to a surge protector inside the rotating shelf, so there's only one plug to worry about and I don't have to unplug and wrap the cord when I flip it over.

I also like that feature of your flip-cart and hope I can incorporate it into my cart. I think the power strip feature in King's Fine Woodworking plans can be used with the Fix This Build That cart. Or, I could build the King's plans.;)

FlyingRon

Ron
Radiata is also known as Monterey pine. Most of it comes from South America in the US market. It's pretty much the standard "finish grade" pine material.
I've got a lot of it stained with no pretreatment. The one thing you want to make sure that is is completely dry. If there are any wet patches on it, it get really blotchy (I have a door that I think got some raindrops on when carrying it in. It's rather bizarre looking now).

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
Arauco (ARAUCO | Sustainable Forest Products - pulp, panels, lumber and ARAUCO North America I Sustainable Forest Product Manufacturer ) plywood was available in a very nice 11-ply product before there plant burned down in South America. The plant is back up now but I have only been able to find 7-ply. Make sure you let it dry FLAT. Mine seems to have a pretty high moisture content when purchased, especially from the middle of the stack. Also of interest is that Arauco has a North Carolina plant.
I use it for shop projects, etc. Not furniture for the house.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Arauco (ARAUCO | Sustainable Forest Products - pulp, panels, lumber and ARAUCO North America I Sustainable Forest Product Manufacturer ) plywood was available in a very nice 11-ply product before there plant burned down in South America. The plant is back up now but I have only been able to find 7-ply. Make sure you let it dry FLAT. Mine seems to have a pretty high moisture content when purchased, especially from the middle of the stack. Also of interest is that Arauco has a North Carolina plant.
I use it for shop projects, etc. Not furniture for the house.

I have made some items from Arauco. Main difficulty I had with it was getting it finish sanded. Just as all was getting smooth, a spot would peel up (just a few fibers thick) and continue down the grain. Also splotchy when staining. Probably more suitable for a painted item, however you may need a pore filler, etc for minor surface defects.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS