Does anyone know about the Craftsman 9" bandsaw

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I might get a good deal or potentially trade for this 9" Craftsman benchtop bandsaw.
What I am curious about is if it is similar or the same as the "old" Rikon 10-305.
Even if it isn't the same or similar to the Rikon, is this a good, bad or junk benchtop saw?

Here is the product tag:

1669731767499.png

Here is a pic of the saw itself:
1669731798444.png

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Depending on the age some are made by Rikon. I do not think this is one. The easy away is to compare the wheels to a rikon. Then go from there. If I remember correctly there is a site that will tell you how to determine the age by the serial number. That would be the 1st step

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Had one yrs ago.... Was not top of the line. Did not track well but then I was new too? Ended up putting a sanding belt on it and used it as a small belt sander

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I might get a good deal or potentially trade for this 9" Craftsman benchtop bandsaw.
What I am curious about is if it is similar or the same as the "old" Rikon 10-305.
Even if it isn't the same or similar to the Rikon, is this a good, bad or junk benchtop saw
That depends on what you call a good deal and what your expectations are. I was looking for a small bandsaw and these show up on Craigslist, Marketplace, and Nextdoor quite often. I ended up getting the 10" Craftsman for $100. Not a great saw but it does what I want it for. Mostly cutting out small carving blanks. The 10" has a 5.5" cutting height compared to a 3.5" height on the 9". That said I don't think I'd have much luck resawing a 5" thick board on it.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a 9" Craftsman but it is a lot older than that. I used it to cut turning blanks - not much use for other things.

Atlasfanatic

New User
Jake
That depends on what you call a good deal and what your expectations are. I was looking for a small bandsaw and these show up on Craigslist, Marketplace, and Nextdoor quite often. I ended up getting the 10" Craftsman for $100. Not a great saw but it does what I want it for. Mostly cutting out small carving blanks. The 10" has a 5.5" cutting height compared to a 3.5" height on the 9". That said I don't think I'd have much luck resawing a 5" thick board on it.
I think I have the same model as you are describing here. I also picked mine up on Marketplace, for $20. It’s a Rikon clone. Cast iron table was super rusted and it needed a new drive belt. Also put on new tires and a 1/2” Wood Slicer blade. Have only run it a few times but felt like I got it cutting pretty well after watching the Snodgrass videos.

Don’t have a lot of experience to compare it to but seems like a decent little machine.
Recently picked up a used Carter MagFence II to use with it. Hoping this setup will work for me until I get around to restoring my dads old Atlas Power King 912 bandsaw.
58DD6AE9-E263-4412-8AE5-DD406D912874.jpeg

Attachments

• B2F678DD-2C72-4327-9F9F-623A8FC11896.jpeg
    B2F678DD-2C72-4327-9F9F-623A8FC11896.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 50
  • 69CD1570-2BC5-4619-97B1-3BE2CD6EF096.jpeg
    69CD1570-2BC5-4619-97B1-3BE2CD6EF096.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Rikon made some of the Craftsman bandsaws. I have one, do not know about this one though.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think I have the same model as you are describing here. I also picked mine up on Marketplace, for $20. It’s a Rikon clone. Cast iron table was super rusted and it needed a new drive belt. Also put on new tires and a 1/2” Wood Slicer blade. Have only run it a few times but felt like I got it cutting pretty well after watching the Snodgrass videos.

Don’t have a lot of experience to compare it to but seems like a decent little machine.
Recently picked up a used Carter MagFence II to use with it. Hoping this setup will work for me until I get around to restoring my dads old Atlas Power King 912 bandsaw.View attachment 215246
Thanks Jake!
Please keep us posted, I want to see that Atlas Power King restored and running!!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS