Does anyone have a 20" jointer and planer for hire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish Carver

New User
Mike
I'm creating the back board for an English style trophy carving and have a cherry plank that I'm loath to rip in half so that I can mill it on my 8" jointer and 15" planer. It's too beautiful as a single piece to have to rip it and re-glue it. Does anyone in western NC have a 20" jointer and planer for hire - that would trade 10 minutes on their machines for lunch? The plank is 5/4" X 36" X 17". I just need to true it up and mill it to 1".

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I'm creating the back board for an English style trophy carving and have a cherry plank that I'm loath to rip in half so that I can mill it on my 8" jointer and 15" planer. It's too beautiful as a single piece to have to rip it and re-glue it. Does anyone in western NC have a 20" jointer and planer for hire - that would trade 10 minutes on their machines for lunch? The plank is 5/4" X 36" X 17". I just need to true it up and mill it to 1".

You could also run it through a wide drum sander too, Im in greensboro, not sure where you are.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Mike, I have a 25" Jointer planer and would be happy to take you up on your lunch offer! However... I'm 30 miles SW of Raleigh, which might be too far of a drive for you.

Scott

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
To get you closer to a member that could help, I would suggest that you contact Rick at The Woodworking Source. Super nice guy and a paying advertiser on this site for a long time.

Fish Carver

New User
Mike
Thanks Scott for your offer (and everyone else's contributions). If nothing shakes out in WNC I'll definitely keep you in mind as giving up a day in the vehicle (and lunch) is a small price to pay to keep the plank in one piece.

Mike

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Mike, another option for you to consider is to build a router sled (google it). It would allow you to surface the plank yourself; usually with only medium sanding required to clean up the marks from the router bit.

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
I might be missing something, but the original poster is in Black Mountain, and the second poster is in Fletcher, about 20 miles from Black Mountain. Wouldn't it be easiest for them to get together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS