Do you still have it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
For the last 3 weeks I have been convalescing at home from back surgery. To pass the time, LOML had brought home a large box of old FWW magazines donated to the library where she works that they could no longer use. Some issues are 25+ years old. Many of the ads for stationary and even portable power tools are for manufacturers that are no longer n business or have been acquired by other companies.
My question to the members here is twofold:
1. Do you own any of these tools?
2. Are you able to service them when something breaks?

Most of my stationary tools are 'Kenmores' (aka, Craftsman) and I manage to get what I need done with them, but for budget reasons I would consider an off brand if I could get assurances that it is serviceable. I'm usually able to do most mechanical repairs myself. Any thoughts/opinions on that approach?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
My table saw is a 23 year old Delta, I have changed out some parts but most of it is original. If something major breaks I’ll probably buy a new one...

Lathe is from 40s to early 60s best guess it was shop made and done well. If something breaks I know a machine shop that will make what ever I need.

Almost all of my hand tools are old... wear out...replace...repeat.

I would like to learn to weld but I so rarely need it that I can usually find someone to help when I need it.

Older tools are easier to repair and make parts for that new stuff most of the time

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
For the last 3 weeks I have been convalescing at home from back surgery. To pass the time, LOML had brought home a large box of old FWW magazines donated to the library where she works that they could no longer use. Some issues are 25+ years old. Many of the ads for stationary and even portable power tools are for manufacturers that are no longer n business or have been acquired by other companies.
My question to the members here is twofold:
1. Do you own any of these tools? I have several of those "off brand" stationary power tools I bought back in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. It was when the Taiwan stuff was first coming on the market, and cheap got my attention. I bought w/ the idea that if I got 5 years out of them before they fell apart, I'd be satisfied and hopefully in a position to upgrade to a better quality replacement.
2. Are you able to service them when something breaks? I don't know. After more than 30 years in service for some of them, the darn things won't break. I keep wanting them to die so I can upgrade. But they just keep going. And I'm too cheap to buy a new tool until the old one is absolutely dead and buried. And it's not like I baby them. All of them are in use on every project I build.

I know what you mean about going back through the old magazines. I've got an almost complete set of FWW and I love going through them, especially the ads. As you said, a lot of them are no longer in business; none of them have a web site; and when they quote a price, I just salivate.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yeah, some of the issues go to the 80s, and the advertisers only had 1-800 phone numbers to order...
When I finish perusing them I plan to ship them to the minimum security prison mentioned here some months back.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I own more than one Delta labeled tool. When B&D raped them, parts were no longer available, except from a donor machine, a couple of which I have. Went to take my 40 year old B&D grinder in and was told no parts available. Called later and found out all parts were available. Severely chastised here (NC Woodworker) for even thinking about getting it fixed under half price rebuild warranty. I have one tool, called a "Dial a Dado." It's a router base. The base contains an eccentric that allows you to widen an existing dado in increments of a couple thousandths. Unfortunately the inventor didn't have the resources to to big time marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS