Do you know what this little hammer is designed to do?

PappiJoe

New User
E
Hello everyone-

I am looking for some light. Do any of you know whats the correct name and use for this small hammer?

It's 9 inches long, the head is 2 3/4 inches wide and has brass details on both the front and back faces.

It seems to delicate for adjusting plane blades, for example.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9050.JPG
    IMG_9050.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_9054.JPG
    IMG_9054.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_9057.JPG
    IMG_9057.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_9058.JPG
    IMG_9058.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 231

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Most brass hammers or brass faced hammers are commonly used for gas work, brass doesn't spark. I did find this quote from FWW on a brass faced hammer question...
"Basically, brass hammer faces are chosen so they don't mark or damage the objects being hit. Brass is often used for it's non-magnetic, non sparking and non marring properties"

PappiJoe

New User
E
It is very "delicate" for a lack of a better word. I may just take it to the MWTCA tool meet in Raleigh in September to check if any of the old timers know what it is?

PappiJoe

New User
E
Most brass hammers or brass faced hammers are commonly used for gas work, brass doesn't spark. I did find this quote from FWW on a brass faced hammer question...
"Basically, brass hammer faces are chosen so they don't mark or damage the objects being hit. Brass is often used for it's non-magnetic, non sparking and non marring properties"
Makes sense... Thanks

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
It could be used for many tasks, white smithing, jewelry making, plane adjusting, or give it to your better half and she'll keep you in line with it. I know mine would, but she seams to like my larger mallet.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Not sure, Looks like a metal crafters hammer to hit the embossing and etching tools. I knew an Instrument repairman who had one of these.. Don't know if the original design intended use was, but he was using for instrument repair on larger brass instruments..

JohnW

New User
John
Looks like a fret hammer used to gently pound fret wire into slots on stringed instruments. Its the right size for this delicate work. Newer quality fret hammers have one brass face and one softer face of Rubber or phenolic. Some old fret hammers had two brass faces or brass and hard wood insert.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS