Do I really need 3 floor standing drill presses?

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
For the price on this old iron (Rockwell 15-665), I just couldn't pass it up:
Rockwell 15-665.jpg

It was already wired for 120V and in great shape. Better yet, none of the pieces are missing or broken.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Nice press. You'll like the quickness and accuracy of that quill stop. Each digit is .002" of depth. I really like them. If this is your first 6" throw press, that'll be another detail of convenience you're going to like. Fewer table moving adventures. You might want to consider a three phase motor with a VFD for electronically variable speed.

I thought the same thing back in July when I saw a couple of presses come up for auction. I couldn't resist either. I now have four floor standing presses and for good reason. I sold the one shown on the left since it was only a 4" throw press.

1   DPs - 1.jpg

Reactions: Oka

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
OOh. An old "split head". Great grab. For the cost of milling one slot and one bolt, older drills are so much better than new.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
That style of Delta press has one annoyance to me. The hum from a single phase motor transfers through the sheet metal belt cover. I put rubber washers between the motor and motor mount plus rubber washers under the sheet metal belt cover. That goes a long way to muffle that buzz. Sometimes the padding in the motor's capacitor housing deteriorates and allows that plastic capacitor to buzz against the sheet metal. New foam rubber usually fixes that.

One day I'm going to replace that motor with a VFD-run 3-phase motor. I've found that I really like the convenience of electronically variable speed. A press of that quality level is well worth it.

By the way, if there's ever a manual switch problem, the switch under the operating buttons is a Furnas 12BA that is easily found on eBay.

I like the chuck key holder idea that's on that press.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Bob get the thin Dyno mat or any other sound deadening mat. Dyno mat is like grace Ice&water shield biththene but the top is a foil. Used in Cars to deaden sound vibration in car doors, car tops or hoods. It is self stick.

That style of Delta press has one annoyance to me. The hum from a single phase motor transfers through the sheet metal belt cover. I put rubber washers between the motor and motor mount plus rubber washers under the sheet metal belt cover. That goes a long way to muffle that buzz. Sometimes the padding in the motor's capacitor housing deteriorates and allows that plastic capacitor to buzz against the sheet metal. New foam rubber usually fixes that.

One day I'm going to replace that motor with a VFD-run 3-phase motor. I've found that I really like the convenience of electronically variable speed. A press of that quality level is well worth it.

By the way, if there's ever a manual switch problem, the switch under the operating buttons is a Furnas 12BA that is easily found on eBay.

I like the chuck key holder idea that's on that press.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Nice press. You'll like the quickness and accuracy of that quill stop. Each digit is .002" of depth. I really like them. If this is your first 6" throw press, that'll be another detail of convenience you're going to like. Fewer table moving adventures. You might want to consider a three phase motor with a VFD for electronically variable speed.

I thought the same thing back in July when I saw a couple of presses come up for auction. I couldn't resist either. I now have four floor standing presses and for good reason. I sold the one shown on the left since it was only a 4" throw press.

View attachment 200761
Hey Bob
I am having a difficult time finding a handle to tighten down the table on my Delta 20" bandsaw. Its the the smalll handle under the table used to tighten the table at different angles.

If you have one, could you send along a price for one?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Bob get the thin Dyno mat or any other sound deadening mat. Dyno mat is like grace Ice&water shield biththene but the top is a foil. Used in Cars to deaden sound vibration in car doors, car tops or hoods. It is self stick.

Well Phooey!
Now you tell me.
I've got some of that stuff in a roll that I ran across the other day. I'll not forget to use it next time. Yes, it would be superior to the rubber.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Hey Bob
I am having a difficult time finding a handle to tighten down the table on my Delta 20" bandsaw. Its the the smalll handle under the table used to tighten the table at different angles.

If you have one, could you send along a price for one?

PM sent to your email.

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
Looks like the previous owner didn't align the pulleys:
Rockwell_15-665.jpg

2 questions -
Is that the correct belt? (925-01-013-1085 7D)
What is the easy/correct method to align the pulleys? Looks like I need to raise the motor. How do I make sure the pulleys a level?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Here's a shot or two of the correct motor height. The proportions should give you an idea where things should be.
1    DP motor height - 1.jpg

1    DP motor height 2 - 2.jpg

Here's a shot of a replacement belt size in case you ever need it.
1    DP motor height 2 - 1.jpg

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
I noticed a little oil filler spout. I have never had one of these on a drill press before.
What "flavor" of oil? How do I know if it needs more?
Any other maintenance/adjustments?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Good for you. Those Gitts fittings are usually missing.
a few drops of 3 in 1 oil is fine. Its for the quill.
Too much oil plus sawdust can make a mess on the quill's gear rack

1    dirtyquill - 2.jpg

1    dirtyquill - 3.jpg

1    dirtyquill - 4.jpg

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Use AX series belt rather than 3L. They are more flexible to get around the smallest sheave, which on every drill I have seen violate the specifications for a V-belt. ( minimum is about 2 1/2 inch diameter.) Use quality US made belts. For some reason the Chinese can't make a round belt or even make the size correct. I have found some as much as 1/2 inch off. There are two ways belts are sizes. Go to Gates, Dayco, of Continental to read all about it.

It took some fiddling to get my Delta motor in the same plane as the idler. In other words, remember to measure the plane from both ends.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I got to thinking about that belt and remembered that what came on the press was a little too tight. I ordered the next size up and found that length to be much more satisfactory.
1    15-665 - 3.jpg

Also, earlier in this thread there was some discussion about making the press less noisy from the 60 cycle hum often present in a fractional HP single phase motor. Here's what I did. It made all the difference in the world.

1    15-665 - 1.jpg

1    15-665 - 2.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS