Dizzy Bowl

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I decided the best way to put my new bandsaw through its paces was to do a bunch of resawing, and doing a Dizzy Bowl was perfect for the practice. The Dizzy Bowl is a take on the "bowl from a board" concept - Just basically thin strips laminated together, then resawn to make boards, rings cut and then stacked & glued, and finally turning it down on the lathe.

Laminating the boards: Maple, walnut, cherry, & padauk.
IMG_2059.JPEG
The board is symmetrical. I decided to do the method of laminating the board, but not the center, leaving two boards. This will make sense when making the rings.
IMG_2062.JPEG
Resawing into smaller boards, a little over 0.25" thick. I got 4 boards out of it
IMG_2064.JPEG
I made the laminations long, so I would have enough to make two bowls. I cross cut each of these boards in half, saving the 2nd halves for a future bowl.
IMG_2067.JPEG
This is why I kept the laminations in halves - I can use the bandsaw to cut the circles on each half, and then glue the semi circles together. I calculated what the diameter of each circle should be using a spreadsheet that I had to recreate from a youtube video
IMG_2069.JPEG
Dry stacking all the circles
IMG_2071.JPEG
I used parallel clamps for the glueup, one ring at a time, until the last ring where I just put a heavy house jack on top.
IMG_2075.JPEG
Mounting on the lathe. Not pictured was turning a small piece of walnut to mount the bottom of the bowl to, and serving as a thicker base to the bowl.
IMG_2080.JPEG
Outside of the bowl turned
IMG_2081.JPEG
All finished up!
IMG_2082.JPEGIMG_2083.JPEGIMG_2085.JPEGIMG_2087.JPEG

There is definitely room for improvement (like the sanding dust from the padauk bleeding into the maple...doh!), but I'm calling it a successful first try. Took about a week from start to finish.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I forgot to post the final dimensions: 4" tall, 7" diameter.

What a beautiful project James. Great imagination.
Thanks, Tim. Though I can't take credit for the original idea, I'll take credit for being able to follow instructions! :)

If anyone is interested, here's a link to my spreadsheet I used to calculate the rings: DizzyBoardPublic.xlsx
All you have to do is input the first four values (Ring Width, Radius Increase, Ring Height, and First Diameter) and everything else is calculated off of those values. Tells you how many boards you'll need, and the ring measurements for each board. I recreated this based on a spreadsheet Denny Edwards made, but I couldn't find online.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors