Display Racks/shelves design

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Coworker would like for me to make her a couple of these table top display racks. She wants them built so everything is in pieces and easy to breakdown and transport. Just slap together at her shows.

Looks easy enough. I'm not great at angles but am sure I can figure them out.

My biggest question is stability. Any suggestions on how to keep them from swaying left to right?

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
the bottom photo appears to have a bracket that wraps around each of the vertical sides. That will keep it from racking side-side. I cannot tell what the top photo uses for a stabilizer.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Looks like on the top one, the angled supports slot into the rear leg which would prevent racking. If I were building it, I would make notches in the shelves, too, so they slot together more positively. I'd make the joints fairly snug, too.

Figuring the angle should be fairly easy if you have a desired overall height and depth.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
a couple more things I might add is the back support "legs"...I would pin them both with a hinge pin so they are attached permanently to the verticals then also add a "stringer" between the verticals near the top, maybe behind or below the upper shelf if you don't want it to show. Then when you knock this rig down, the shelves can be stacked between the verticals and the whole mess can easily be carried as one lot together.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
What is she planning on putting on the shelves? Is it something heavy? Might need some mechanical fasteners to ensure integrity.

Roy G

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I did a quickie sketch based on dimensions provided on the Etsy site for the pine one. Looks like about 48° for the angled supports.

Dave, could you post another screen shot from a different angle that might show David how the vertical sides lock into the horizontal support. Thanks.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
How's this Bill? I didn't really put any effort into the joinery or even working out the rear support. I was mostly interested in the angle.

If the thing has to be truly knockdown-able, I would probably do something to make the parts lock together more positively. If the support frame could be left assembled, I'd probably make it so the rear support is hinged to make it fold down flat. Lots of ideas in my head.
Screenshot - 9_5_2019 , 8_41_20 AM.png

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Here's some additional insight from the Stu Adams website with the dimensions of the 4 shelf unit (1 x 5) whose shelves are 24" l x 4.5" w.

An assembly video with the individual parts. You have to start/pause to get a closer look at them.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
What is she planning on putting on the shelves? Is it something heavy? Might need some mechanical fasteners to ensure integrity.

Roy G
Small 3" x 3" boxes for jewelry that she makes, so nothing heavy.

I was thinking about the weight of materials and wonder how heavy it might need to be to keep from blowing around or off the table on windy days for outside events? [Yet, still be light enough to be carrying around with all of the merchandise.] Any thoughts on Materials? I was just thinking 1" pine for the verticals and maybe ripping the same for the shelves to be 1/2".

Thanks for the replies so far, and especially for the 'sketches' Dave. That is helpful.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
a couple more things I might add is the back support "legs"...I would pin them both with a hinge pin so they are attached permanently to the verticals then also add a "stringer" between the verticals near the top, maybe behind or below the upper shelf if you don't want it to show. Then when you knock this rig down, the shelves can be stacked between the verticals and the whole mess can easily be carried as one lot together.

I like this and can almost visualize this. Any sketch up artists out there?? I think it is a good idea and would definately help keep all the parts together. Could even add some small leather [or similar] handles.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I like this and can almost visualize this. Any sketch up artists out there?? I think it is a good idea and would definately help keep all the parts together. Could even add some small leather [or similar] handles.

I'll see if I can find one. ;) Time is at a premium for the next couple of days as I get ready to go decimate the lobster population in Maine. And visit Lie-Nielsen and other places of interest to woodworkers. :D

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS