Disk Sander/Edge sander

Status
Not open for further replies.

windknot

Scott
Senior User
Before I start let me say I know what I really need, a 6" Edge Sander with about 1.5 hp motor; however the $600-$800 price is not realistic. Would a 12" disk sander with a 8" x 17" table work to sand the edges of dovetailed boxes or cabinet doors? I have looked at the belt/disk combos but don't think the box could be held against the belt good enough to keep from rolling the edges or getting an uneven sand job. Will the disk leave too much swirl?

woodguy1975

New User
John
No, for what you are looking at doing you'll want at least a 20" disk. The 12" sanders only have 6" of usable edge. An edge sander is really the way to go. That is the reason I got mine. :)

edgesander_small.jpg

chris99z71

New User
Chris
WG, I think you had a typo there. I think what what you meant to say was, "that's why I STOLE mine".

Edit: Here's another idea i just had...and with it I'm issuing a permit to openly refer to me as "stupid": Is there a way that you could set up an oscillating spindle sander with a fence to sand long edges?

Last edited:

windknot

Scott
Senior User
WG, when you say 6" of usable disk, do you mean from the table to the top of the disk. In other words, the table bisects the disk. If I am only sanding 5" would this disk work?

gator

George
Corporate Member
windknot said:
WG, when you say 6" of usable disk, do you mean from the table to the top of the disk. In other words, the table bisects the disk. If I am only sanding 5" would this disk work?

With a disc sander (using the table for support) you only sand on the left side (on most sanders, the left side) of the disc. This is the side that is going down as the disc turns. You cannot successfully sand on the up side, the sandpaper will grab the workpiece and rip it out of your hands. So, if your table is centered top to bottom, as it should be, then on a 12" disc you should only use the surface from the center out to the left edge of the disc = 6".

George

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Shop Notes has featured both a stationaey sander and a sander that fits on drill press. The adjusting mech on stationary was difficult to make, but the drill press version used a tapered wedge. This design could be adapted to stationary version. You would need a 1725 rpm motor to make this , about 1-1 1/2 HP. I'll check later to get issue #'s if you are interested

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
With a disk sander the useable area is the radius, not the diameter. You are able to sand with the disk from the edge to the middle. I also have plans in an old shop notes magazine to make an edge sander, you can borrow that if you would want to go that route.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Craig'slist.org currently has a Delta 6" belt sander for $75. Look in craig's list- Raleigh- Durham- Nov 30th. This might be just what you need.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Did you do the registration for craigslist? If not, post will probably come back to you. A couple of weeks ago, someone had a Sears-cast iron radial saw, jointer and 10" delta band saw on the list. My replies kept bouncing back until I figured out what to do. TOO LATE, they were gone. Had already made arrangements to sell jointer for most of what package would have cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS