Dishwasher Troubleshooting and repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hey everyone, :help: :help: :help:

Our dishwasher in the house we have just bought Jan 24th has stopped working. Here is the problem, it wont drain and the float device stops the machine when the water is to high. We don't have an air gap, we pulled the whole machine out and manually drained it (all over the kitchen floor :BangHead:) and cleared out the drain tube and checked for blockage, none. Oh and for the life of me and my wife we cannot find the product number for our dishwasher. We know that it is a GE Quiet power 2 and thats about it. I think it might be the drain pump but it seems to work when I turned it on when the dishwasher was out. (Man I wish I took pictures) Anyway anyone have a suggestions? My LOML Rachel is getting fed up with washing the dishes by hand since she did it for 3 years in Okinawa while we we married and was very excited to get a dishwasher... What a dissapointment!!!

Welp Thanks for the help, I know theres someone out there smarter than me, aaaa duh :help: :help: :help: :help::icon_scra:dontknow::eusa_thin

Matthew and Rachel
Custom Home Audio
M&R Audio

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Does the dishwasher connect to a garbage disposal? If so, you may have the knockout still in place on the disposal. Take the drain hose loose from the disposal & punch it through with a screwdriver. The plug will fall into the disposal & can be retrieved WITH THE POWER OFF!

DAMHIKT

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Does the dishwasher connect to a garbage disposal? If so, you may have the knockout still in place on the disposal. Take the drain hose loose from the disposal & punch it through with a screwdriver. The plug will fall into the disposal & can be retrieved WITH THE POWER OFF!

DAMHIKT

A garbage disposal, whats That? I want one!!!!:rotflm:

Nope don't have a garbage disposal, wish I did.

Any other advice, I need Help! :help: :help: :help: :help: :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Steve Martin

New User
Steve Martin
Sorry, no advice on the dishwasher but when a friend had one die on him he gave it to me to make a drier for the green wood bowls I turn. It works great by putting a 60 w light in the bottom and adjusting the racks to hold the bowls and other green turned pieces, if you can't get it working as a dishwasher. Good luck!

J

jeff...

When ours does that there is something under that little round plunger thing in the front bottom right hand side. Could be something as small as popcorn kernel to one time a spoon that seemed to work it's way out of the silverware holder. After removing whatever is sticking the plunger thingly - close the door and push the "Drain" button you should hear the pump running and the water will drain - if something is under the plunger the drain button won't kick on the pump. Let it drain a bit and push the drain button again to stop it from draining. Hope this helps - it threw me for a big time loop, when it first happened over here.

When it happens it's best to siphon the water out with one of those cheep-o HF hand pumps till you can see what's under plunger and remove it

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3878

Later

russellellis

New User
Russell
If it seems to work well when it is pulled out but not when in place, then i would take a look at the drain tube. It could be that it is getting pinched/kinked when the dishwasher is pushed back in place. Normally if it is not draining its either a kinked hose, a blocked hose/disposal, or clogged filter in the bottom. You should be able to find the model and serial number behind the toe kick close to the electrical.

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
I second the repair clinic suggestion , they have helped me in the past with wiring diagrams for my Maytag. :eusa_danc

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Take the hose loose from the tail piece under the sink. See if there is stuff in the inlet to the tail piece. Dishwashers don't use but one pump to both wash and empty. The solenoid that controls the dump valve may not be working. My neighbor recently had the trash in the outlet problem. If the machine washes, then the pump / motor is working.

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
I second the suggestion about checking the drain tube. We had that problem when our house was new. It could be getting pinched when you push the dishwasher back in. Try running the dishwasher while it is pulled out. Hopefully, that is all it is.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Well the thing is, The home is 2 years old and the dishwasher did work great for 1 1/2 months and then one day when we started it, it stopped in the middle of washing. I pulled it out and tried it and it doesn't work. The only way I could get it to drain was disconnecting the drain tube and having drain all over my kitchen floor. After it was totally drain and I saw that there was nothing blocking it from draining in either direction I tried it again and still would stop after a few minutes of the wash. And the bottom of the dishwasher is again full. I still think its the drain pump, I think it died. Oh and I don't have a drain button.

Thanks for the help everyone. I will keep trying.

Matthew & Rachel
Custom Home Audio
M&R Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors