Dining table and chairs finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
Because I know you all like pictures, here is the dining room table and chairs finally finished. Some of you actually came and visited to see the table before I left in 2010, so you can see I didn't do too well on the chairs. Carol had banned me from making 6 chairs because of the fear of never seeing me again, but she relented last year!! I did do the upholstery myself as well which was quite a challenge, but pleased with the result.

attachment.php

Of course we had to repaint the walls to go with the colour

Attachments

• Dining table and chairs finished.jpg
    Dining table and chairs finished.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 299

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Very nicely crafted David! Now that you're finished, is Carol glad to see you returned after your project?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Excellent work, David. A lot of time consuming inlay work on both the table and chairs, but nicely done. :icon_thum

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Nicely done and welcome back to NCWW. What is the turquoise on the table, inlay or a cloth table runner? I'm curious, you haven't posted on NCWW for a long time so why'd you drop out of sight for so long and suddenly showed up again?

Some of you actually came and visited to see the table before I left in 2010,

I surmise that you lived in NC back then. Why'd you move to Lydlinch, UK?

Last edited:

DavidF

New User
David
I was called back by the same company that sent me to the US in 1999, so had to go. Sure do miss NC. Lydlinch is a perfect small English village, 400people, great neighbours, lot's of community stuff. Pub just down the road. Cows and fields out the back door. I like it a lot but the weather isn't NC weather ( well except this year!)

DavidF

New User
David
attachment.php
Hi Jeff forgot to answer your question, yes, we lived in Pittsboro, NC when the table was done. The blue through the top and underneath is actually custom glass that I had made by a small glass company off the beltway. The two pieces of glass cost $2000..... This is the original 3D design I did showing the under side glass. There is no apron as such. The first picture doesn't really show it.

Attachments

• Dining table assy 7 end.jpg
    Dining table assy 7 end.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 264

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Fantastic work David, that came out great. Love all the little details on the chairs. Any challenge in getting the wood to match, or was it all the same stock?

DavidF

New User
David
Hi Bas, Different stock from two different countries, all maple. Guess I was lucky!!!
How are things with you?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thanks, I think that I understand your design better now.

attachment.php
Hi Jeff forgot to answer your question, yes, we lived in Pittsboro, NC when the table was done. The blue through the top and underneath is actually custom glass that I had made by a small glass company off the beltway. The two pieces of glass cost $2000..... This is the original 3D design I did showing the under side glass. There is no apron as such. The first picture doesn't really show it.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I understand but your location could be worse, like Liverpool or York year round.

I was called back by the same company that sent me to the US in 1999, so had to go. Sure do miss NC. Lydlinch is a perfect small English village, 400people, great neighbours, lot's of community stuff. Pub just down the road. Cows and fields out the back door. I like it a lot but the weather isn't NC weather ( well except this year!)

DavidF

New User
David
Are you talking York Maine.....I spent 5 years in NE before NC, didn't much like it up there either......
Down south here in North Dorset, one of the nicest counties in England, so not complaining. Carol misses NC though.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
York, UK or GB.

Years ago we took a fast train from London to York for a few days and then a train to Bristol where we hired a car. Short road trip to tour Bath and then off to Clovelly in Devon. Then to Tintagel and Cornwall. Finally headed back to London through Salisbury, Stonehenge, and Avebury.

Are you talking York Maine.....I spent 5 years in NE before NC, didn't much like it up there either......
Down south here in North Dorset, one of the nicest counties in England, so not complaining. Carol misses NC though.

DavidF

New User
David
At Stonehenge you were less than an hour away. If you're ever iver again let me know. We have the best beer in the world after all.....

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Hi Bas, Different stock from two different countries, all maple. Guess I was lucky!!!
How are things with you?
That's the problem with those mass produced chairs, all six of them look the same. And match the table too! I prefer real craftsmanship where everything looks like it was thrown together by accident :)

Doing well David, not enough shop time, but all good. Glad to see you're making sawdust on the other side of the pond.

DavidF

New User
David
Yes, I know, luckily I was able to knock all 6 out in a weekend.....actually it was probably a year from start to finish. In fact if you look in my gallery you will see the original CAD drawing, I really started it in NC!

DavidF

New User
David
Oh, and by the way, the advise about never making 6 chairs, it's true - what a PITA they are, but, mighty satisfying when they're done..

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Beautiful work David, I love the harmony of the your wood and color choices.

BTW... I think we should all plan a Shop Crawl to David's place!

DavidF

New User
David
Shop crawlers always welcome Jim!
The chairs had a few tricky things in them, not least the black walnut inlay that runs around the the front and back legs. And not sure if it shows in the pictures but the side rails are not strictly conventional in that instead of an angled tenon meeting the front face of the back leg they are actually perpendicular to a tapered chamfer that runs the length of the front edge of the leg from the ground to the top, with the widest section 20mm, being the landing spot for the side rail. This gives the exact 5 deg spaly to each rail. That was a very nasty bit of joinery to pull off, but it makes them a bit different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS