Digital SLR camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lottathought

New User
Michael
Of course there is what is behind curtain #3.

Then there is the Canon Loyalty Program..
This program allows you to replace your current Canon camera with a Canon refurbished product. The refurbished unit carries a 6 month warranty. The following models are currently offered:
SD850 IS $150
G9 $250
EOS XT (with lens kit, same as this .........http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007QKN22/ref=nosim/?tag=fatwalletcom&linkCode=as1 ) $299
Call Tech Support at 866-443-8002 or 800-828-4040 to get started.
You will need the serial number of your current camera.
The current camera also needs to be broken and out of warranty.
I actually pulled a broken one that had been sitting in my son's toy box for 4 years and used it to get the EOS XT.
Taxes ...yes, you pay taxes, shipping is $10 for 2-day delivery. You must return your old / defective camera (must be a Canon). Prepaid shipping label will be provided.

russellellis

New User
Russell
I use the Nikon D60 almost exclusively now. I have always shot with either a Pentax35mm or a Nikon 35mm. Being that Nikon slr lenses will fit and work on the D60 dslr (albiet with no autofocus) it was the right choice for me. I have rarely rarely rarely ever wanted more than the D60 for digital work. A good camera with a good tripod will take great pics, and a great camera with no tripod will take bad pics. How large will your prints be, and what is the final outcome of them will determine if you really need 6-8-10. you can buy the D60 body alone and and get a used fisheye, wide angle, or my favorite the 55mm fixed lens.
BH is a great great great company with excellent customer service.
....remember it is a slippery slope....before you know it, youll be drooling over soft boxes, filters, lights, strobes and more.

thrytis

New User
Eric
The 18mm - 55mm zooms that are part of the kits are probably the widest angle you're going to get without spending more for the lens than the camera.

To get sharp pictures, plan on getting a decent tripod that will hold the weight of your SLR without vibrating if you don't have one already. It doesn't have to be an expensive carbon fiber one, but the real cheap ones will shake when you crank up the center column up to eye level. Also get a wireless remote so you don't have to touch the camera to take a photo. Brush up on understanding the basic settings - aperture, shutter speed, and ISO senstivity, and you'll be able to get sharp pictures. Once you download to the computer, you can check your sharpness by zooming in on different sections even if your computer doesn't display high resolutions.

Even though you have daylight colored CFLs, learn how to use your custom white balance. It generally is just a matter of taking a picture of something white in the same light as your target photo, then telling your camera to use that photo for determining white balance. It is really easy to do and it helps the colors come out consistent and accurate.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
If you go to my website at www.michaelayers.smugmug.com, you can see lots of images I have made. Most of them were made with a Digital Rebel XTi but some of them were made with my wife's Kodak "pocket camera." When you are looking at an image, if you will mouse over the picture on the right, you will get a pop-up menu. This menu will allow you to look at the original file which is usually very large. It will also let you see the camera settings used to take the picture. This information can help you decide what lens you might want. If it is in the 18-55mm range then I used the "kit" lens. If it says "100mm" and is woodworking related, then I used my Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens. I also have a Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM but haven't used it for any woodworking images that I can recall. Looking at this information in the context of the image will help you figure out what you want.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
My biggest problem is viewing and selecting. I have been doing that on my laptop because of convenience, but it does not provide the resolution I really need. My desktop is a dinosaur. I need a new, faster computer, with lots of RAM and HDD space and a super video driver and super-hi res monitor, but that's not going to happen. I wonder if the video section of my laptap will drive a high res monitor? Hmmm, I need to check that out.

Alan, When you decide to get a new PC be sure to check the Dell outlet.
http://www.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&~ck=bt

They have free shipping right now. The stock changes all the time, but I have had great luck getting good machines for next to nothing. Be paient, and look through the site often. The last machine I bought was about four years ago $500 got me a PentiumD 2Ghz, 1GB RAM, Dual 160Gb HDDs. I just took a quick look, and the machines they currently have are pretty impressive. They don't come with a display, but then I don't really care for dell displays. Look at Tigerdirect.com for a display deal.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Here is an update. I think I did ok.

After two false starts (one scam, one sale mutually cancelled)*, I think I got a good camera deal. I went over my $500 limit by just a bit ($550) but am buying a used camera. It was lightly used and still has 7 -8 months left of Canon US warranty- not a gray market camera. It is a Canon EOS Rebel XSi (450D), 12.2 MP w/Canon 18-55mm lens. It comes with all the basic stuff (battery, charger, USB and video cables, manuals, software, etc.) plus a 4 GB memory card, deluxe Canon bag, and wireless remote. I haven't got it yet,but it should be here this week.

* First Ebay sale (only $450 for a nearly new Canon XSi) appears to have been a scam- after a few confused communications, seller stopped responding and looks like he won't ship. I'm covered by PAYPAL so will get my money back eventually. In the second sale, there was an error in the listing - no lens. This sale was mutually cancelled for full refund.

Once I get the camera I should be able to finish up the two articles in a week or so.

FuzzWuzz16

New User
Jim Fossler
Alan,
Great score and very good price!
I have an XSi and have had it about 4 months and am very impressed with it. The remote is a nice feature.
Please post a picture or two when you're done with the project (if allowed by publisher).
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS