Different for me too

Status
Not open for further replies.

AL Spicer

New User
Al
Hello All,

Just catching up on the forum and saw Dan’s (danmart77) post on “Time for Something Different”. Very interesting chair and it reminded me of a project I just finished that was different for me. The table is 24”D x 31”H. I wanted to embellish it using inlay stringing on the top. The string is 1/32 Sycamore, European. The idea of the base came as I was working on the top. I thought why not keep these circle going through the entire piece. The top and bottom are MDF veneered with walnut burl and the banding is a waterfall edge of kingwood. The center shaft is solid walnut.

It’s always fun to try something different even if for no other reason than to get you out of your comfort zone. I’m going make it a point to do this more often. You never know what will come from it. Give it a try and post your results for us all to see.

stand25.jpg

top12.jpg

side6.jpg

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
You have outdone yourself again, Al. A very different and inspiring piece!

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Hello All,

Just catching up on the forum and saw Dan’s (danmart77) post on “Time for Something Different”. Very interesting chair and it reminded me of a project I just finished that was different for me. The table is 24”D x 31”H. I wanted to embellish it using inlay stringing on the top. The string is 1/32 Sycamore, European. The idea of the base came as I was working on the top. I thought why not keep these circle going through the entire piece. The top and bottom are MDF veneered with walnut burl and the banding is a waterfall edge of kingwood. The center shaft is solid walnut.

It’s always fun to try something different even if for no other reason than to get you out of your comfort zone. I’m going make it a point to do this more often. You never know what will come from it. Give it a try and post your results for us all to see.

stand25.jpg

top12.jpg

side6.jpg

Amen brother....+1. Very nice work.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Al that is different alright. But looking at each of your pieces I'm struck by how different each one in the past has been. I am very impressed by the unique pedestal design.

Questions: Did you orient the grain direction of the disks a certain way as you climbed in the spiral?

From the photo it looks like you got your "elbow" curves in a line. Did you eyeball it or use a jig for alignment?

Very nice work Al

mamell

New User
Marty
Extraordinary..Looks like you used atomic energy powered design on the top..
Yeah, I know..my lousy jokes can't all be winners. ;)

AL Spicer

New User
Al
Al that is different alright. But looking at each of your pieces I'm struck by how different each one in the past has been. I am very impressed by the unique pedestal design.

Questions: Did you orient the grain direction of the disks a certain way as you climbed in the spiral?

From the photo it looks like you got your "elbow" curves in a line. Did you eyeball it or use a jig for alignment?

Very nice work Al

Dan

I just oriented the grain in the direction I thought would look best.

For the spiral I first turned all the disk on the lathe at one time with a threaded rod through the center. Then set up a simple jig on the drill press creating a new center that was off center. Next I made a template that would allow me to rotate each disk the same amount.

Hope this clarifies it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS