Did any of you go to the "Estate tool sale"

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rickc

If you are speaking of the one that took place at Ed Hobb's place, on Inwood - yes I went. Actually behaved myself, but got some good deals. There was an unbelieveable amount of items there. Very good prices,and a decent crowd. I got there as it opened, and while there were a lot of folks, it was not too uncomforatable, and the folks I was around were well behaved and couteous.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well, what did you get?? No pics, so it really didn't happen:lol: Old tools or modern equipment? Inquiring minds want to know. Dave:)

cloudancer

New User
Greg Dake
(If its the same as what was advertized at woodcraft as well)
It was almost all old stuff. Things like hand powered drill presses, old planes, saws, you name it. There were litterally 50+ "standard" bench planes when I got there (several hours after it opened).

I finially got my gallery today so I can post pics of my finds tonight.

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
This is really sad for me, as I saw the sale TODAY!
I wish I checked out the TWA newsletter last week. :(

Besides, it's not on the paper, right?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Alright, I now know that I need to become a TWA member so I can find out about stuff like this. I read all the time about people's old tool finds, but have no clue as to how they know when and where these things are going up for sale. Cloudancer when you post your finds, please give what you paid so I have some idea. I really dig the idea of restoring/retuning old planes and would love to find some that I could start working on. Dave:)

R

rickc

For a very small sampling of what I got (admittedly not much), check out the General Woodworking Forum, and locate the beginning of the "What are these" thread. Just to add salt to the wound - there were easily 8-10 tables full of items for $5. Most were rubber-banded together or in boxes, which constitued 1 item. There were a good number of other tables with items at $10. There were Nielson planes, a number of Stanley plans (for us commoners!), More wooden block planes than I could count, several old fashioned scroll saws - no motors, turning tools, chisels, etc, etc, etc.

If you are interested in TWA go to the site:
www.ibiblio.org\twa and check out some of what is left on the programs for this year. And as far as tool finds? There is a members only tool auction coming up in November. Each member can bring up to 8 or 10 items for auction. No puyers premium - the winning bid is exactly what you pay and what the seller gets. Annual dues for new members are $30 if you select electronic version of the newsletter, and $35 if you opt for the old fashioned snail mail that generates more work for the editor!:crybaby2:

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
Yes, what you described _hurts_ a lot!
I always thought I was in some old tool desert, kinda never dreamed
of things like this to be happening here.

Went to the Brimfield, MA flea market in July, now I can imagine
what I saw there may look pale comparing to what's available
the last Sat.

I went to the tool auction in 2003, nothing interesting.
Some walnut boards, some hand saws, that's it.

I missed the one last year, not sure if I would go this year.

Besides, the TWA's website is http://www.ibiblio.org/twa

Last edited:

cloudancer

New User
Greg Dake
I picked up a very nice Stanly plane for $30 (just missed a 15$ one almost as good), a $15 no-name jointer plane, a $10 and $5 plane that I hope to be able to do something with, a $5 Stanley 110, a bunch of HW turning blanks for prob 10-25% of retail, a bit brace for $5 and a couple books. Not as good as if I got there early/on time, but we had the kids this weekend so it was the best we could do. The 7 year old's excitment at getting to use the drill paid for the all tools within 24 hours :lol:.

I've also done one auction a while back and it went well enough I'm planning to go to some more. I'm afraid they don't compare with the spread last weekend though.

<no pics tonight the camera battery is dead, but soon>

Last edited:

cloudancer

New User
Greg Dake
Plane plane pics. There are more in my gallery http://www.ncwoodworker.net/gallery/browseimages.php?c=119&userid=

Planes.jpg

plane5.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Oh, dang those are pretty especially that jointer plane. Some guys get all the breaks. Let me know the next time ya'll run across another gold mine. Dave:)

Red Sonja

New User
Sonja
There was a LOT of stuff there for very good prices. We'd forgotten, though, that it was cash only so we got a lot less than we would have if they'd accepted checks. (Might have been a good thing, in the long run :-D It would've been very easy to spend a LOT of money.) There was wood laid out on tarps outside and I got quite a few pieces that will be good for turning for very little money. One bundle of a half dozen or so pieces at least 3 feet long for $10. Two pieces about 2 feet long and 3x3 for $5. Another bundle of maybe 4 or 5 pieces for $5. I think I spent $20 on wood there and got about a dozen good turning prospects with a few junkers from the bundles. I also got two turning books, big thick hardcovers, for $5 each. They had several sets of turning tools that I looked at and would have bought one if we'd had more cash on hand. The used ones had been ground pretty sloppy though and would've taken some work to get back to proper bevels but there were two sets of brand new ones.

Was good overall. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS