Diamond Sharpener

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I bought a diamond sharpener and was reading the brochure that came with it. It says to use water as a lubricant and after sharpening, rinse the sharpener off and dry it. It's a DMT on a steel plate, so is there some concern about rust? Does using an oil clog it up? Thanks for any response.

Roy G

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have used mine dry for 10 years, when it gets dirty (clogged) I spray some WD-40 and wipe it with a rag.

Yes, they will rust. I sweat on mine and it leaves a rusty spot. Have to clean it with a brass brush and WD-40.

The honing oil from Klingspor or Norton works well and Mineral oil with a little thinner works well too.

One of the main reasons I went to diamonds was to get away from water or oil on the stone while I sharpen.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use the trend sharpening lube that Klingspor sells on my Diamonds. I'm forgetful and if I follow DMT's advice and use soapy water, I can forget to dry it thoroughly right away and they do rust. I prefer to use an oil-based product on them. I don't like WD-40 personally because it is a penetrating oil and can seep into things. It also has a tendency to become gummy, but it does work and I know several people that use it. I just prefer something lighter like the stuff trend makes.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
To clarify, I don't leave the WD-40 on the stone. I spray it on to loosen the debris then wipe it dry.

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Like Mike does,i also use my DMT s dry.I keep a stiff brush handy to brush the particles off during sharpening.Once in a while I wash in soapy water and dry good.

Tony

Jeff

New User
Jeff
My DMT DuoSharp stones are lubed with water only. After use I rinse them in running water with gentle scrubbing using an old toothbrush; then they're rinsed with DNA and dried before storing. The DMT construction uses a high nickel steel so it should not rust but the very fine metal particles from sharpening is called swarf and it will rust if it's not removed.

From the DMT Q&A ...

• [h=4]I know it says to use the sharpener dry or with water, but can I use oil anyway? Can I store my DMT stone in kerosene?[/h]DMT recommends you use DMT products dry or with water only. Although mineral oil or WD40 will not harm the DMT products, they can impede sharpening if used in excess and can damage the sharpener overtime if not properly cleaned/removed from the sharpener. DMT recommends that you always wipe your Diamond Sharpeners clean and store dry after use. Put away your benchstones dry and store in a dry area. Use leafing (paper towels, cloth, plastic storage bag) in between your bench stones to prevent abrasive sides from rubbing.

Lowlander

New User
Chris
I use a small ammount of water while sharpening with my DMTs and dry them off after use with no rusting issues. I do store them in a humidity controlled enviroment just in case.

RainMaker

New User
Tony
I have had great success using CMT blade & bit cleaner on a Trend diamond hone.... just wipe it off when I'm through...

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
i spray on plain water and wipe it off. helps to float off the debris. I have a little rust around the edges of the plates I've had for a few years. No issues with rust on my blades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS