Diamond grinding wheels

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I know a few of you (@Phil S, @Mike Davis etc.) have purchased some diamond or CBN grinding wheels either for your bench grinder or Tormek / Tormek-style grinder...

What grit or grits did you purchase and why - with some time working with them, would you do anything different?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have CBN on my Rikon grinder. 180 on left for chisels, blades, and reshaping turning chisels. 600 on right for the Oneway turning tool jig. I’m very happy with my choices and wouldn’t change.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have CBN on my Rikon grinder. 180 on left for chisels, blades, and reshaping turning chisels. 600 on right for the Oneway turning tool jig. I’m very happy with my choices and wouldn’t change.
I thought you did, where did you get them again? Workshop heaven or Klingspor or ???

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

There was some part of my order that Klingspor didn’t have at the time I bought mine. They have more in stock now so check with them.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member

There was some part of my order that Klingspor didn’t have at the time I bought mine. They have more in stock now so check with them.
Thank you - and I think KWS is actually cheaper than Woodturners Wonders!
There are SO many grits available, it makes your head spin!

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Woodturners has some well thought out profiles. I intend on a pair. 180-ish and 600-ish.

Scott H

Scott
User
I talked to Ken at Woodturner's Wonders and he recommended 180 and 600 IIRC. The reason was that that was a good pair if you were going to do woodturning also.

I ended up getting an 80 grit spartan CBN wheel, can't remember exactly why I didn't get 180. No problem with that so far for planes, chisels, etc. but not the smoothest grit pattern on the primary bevel I guess. Downside to the Spartan is it has a flat profile and I probably would have liked a gently crowned one or one with round edges or something. Not really getting in my way for what I need to do but would make it easier to spot tweak areas.

I was very impressed at how little vibration there was compared to normal stones. I got some of the spherical washers and machined washers and the thing barely vibrates at all when it's on.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm not a turner, so I went with 80 & 180. I use the 80 for chipped edges and fore plane cambers

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Thank you - and I think KWS is actually cheaper than Woodturners Wonders!
Like I said, I would have bought from Klingspor but they did not carry the stones I wanted way back then. They probably have a lot more now. I always check there first and if they have what I want, even if it costs a little more, I get it at Klingspor.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
After talking with Ken at Woodturners Wonders I bought a 350 grit 4-in-1 CBN wheel. It's paired with a 120 stone wheel. Ken's recommendation was a 180 stone, but I already had the 120. I like Kingspore, but I'm fond of Ken's store. So far I have purchased the complete track system (light, DC & bowl depth gauge) the complete lathe sanding system and CBN wheel. Small company with very good advice. Ken is a vast storehouse of lathe information & their You Tube videos are great. Also for turners look up The Missouri Woodturner. His advice is good & his humor is great.

Pop

Last edited:

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I believe I have a 300 and 600 wheel on mine. I use regular stones for lawn mower blades, etc. 6", 8" and 10"
Anyone need a 6" grinder? Variable speed. PM me, please. I can bring it to the picnic.

mgreene93

Mark
Corporate Member
I have a 1hp rikon grinder with a 180 cbn and an 80 cbn wheel on it. Those were the two offered by Ron Brown’s Best.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a 1hp rikon grinder with a 180 cbn and an 80 cbn wheel on it. Those were the two offered by Ron Brown’s Best.
Mark,
Do you think the 80 is too coarse?
Do you find yourself using it or the 180 more often?

mgreene93

Mark
Corporate Member
I’ve actually only used them once. I have the Wolverine system setup and I’ve only sharpened one lathe tool. I haven’t done much turning.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS