DeWalt Planer Stand

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
I have a DeWalt 735 that needs to go on a moveable platform.

Is anyone using the DeWalt cart that is made for these?

If so, I have two questions.

- 1) How has it held up? Sturdy enough?

- 2) What is the height of the outfeed? My bench is 38½". I'd like the outfeed to be just about the same. Slightly higher, but no less.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I have a DeWalt 735 that needs to go on a moveable platform.

Is anyone using the DeWalt cart that is made for these?

- 2) What is the height of the outfeed? My bench is 38½". I'd like the outfeed to be just about the same. Slightly higher, but no less.
I don't have one to measure but I used my uncles tools prior to his move to Florida last year. The stand was fine, sturdy and rolled we'll except I think only 2 wheels turned.

I used my dad's old craftsman stand. I believe it was for a radial arm saw but has a drawer and I but 2 roll out wire drawers in the void under the drawer to better use all the space. I also changed the wheels on it to 4 locking and revolving wheels. Love it.

My uncles stand was probable 10 years old so they may have made the cheaper or used thinner metal now. Their site should have the height number you need

ssmith

New User
Scott
The top if the companion Dewalt stand is 29 3/8” from the floor. That puts the infeed & outfeed tables at 32” off the ground. That stand has 3 wheels - one can be raised to drop the stand on two fixed feet.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I don't do any planning inside my small shop, so wanted to have something that I could store in my shop with the planer on it, but allow me to wheel it outdoors and set it up easily in the driveway for use. I ended up buying a Delta Miter saw/planer stand and it has been great for me for the past 5 years or so. The attached link is for the DeWalt version that is actually a bit better than the Delta that I have. My DeWalt 735 planer mounting holes are not on the same spacing as the mounting tracks of the stand, so I made an adapter from a piece of 3/4" cabinet birch ply and mounted the planer to it, then mounted the ply adapter to the rails of the stand. It worked perfect. I can leave the stand on it's end, standing in the corner of my shop where it needs only a few feet of floor space. Then when I need it, just roll it out into the driveway and stand it up for use. Gas springs help with the lifting. When finished using it I can then release the latch and lower it to the driveway, then lift up the end and roll it back into the shop like a hand truck, to leave standing on it's end in the corner of the shop again. I'm 81 years old, and I can do this with that planer on it any time that I need to. I need help to pick up just the planer if it's sitting on a bench.

The improvement of this stand over my Delta version is that the outrigger roller assemblies of my stand have two vertical posts that are forever jamming when being raised and lowered. This DeWalt stand has only one large post under each roller, and moves more easily without jamming than those on my Delta version, so I like it better than mine, but financially it's not worth replacing my Delta for this one. Had this been available at the time, I would certainly have chosen this one.

Charley

ssmith

New User
Scott

And since I didn't address your first question, it's rock solid once you drop it onto its feet.

Very satisfied with it, and just to be sure we're talking about the same thing, this is the one I'm referring to:

Attachments

• Planer Stand.png
    Planer Stand.png
    285.6 KB · Views: 59

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
Back to your original question, I have the Dewalt 735 on the Dewalt stand. It works great and yes the stand is sturdy. I find it very useful in wheeling it outside in the driveway to use. No issues at all. I recommend.

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
In my table rebuild, my table saw was rehoused.

As it turns out, the planer fits nicely on the old table saw stand.

KIMG2654.JPG

I'll use some scrap 2x I have to place between the planer and the stand to secure it as the holes do not line up.

Echd

C
User
I have the dewalt planer stand. It's sturdy and honestly a decent value for what you get. If you have some casters around you could build a workable one pretty well, but you could do worse.

The lift for the casters (if that makes sense) can be placed inside or outside of the footprint of the table. I put mine on the inside to save overall footprint.

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
The reason I have the piece of plywood on the bottom of that stand is because I put casters on it. It originally had bolt on rubber feet.

Once I put the casters on, the ends of the legs needed extra support to keep from bending.

I put a scrap piece in there and that resolved the issue.

They are fairly cheap bolt on casters from Amazon but they do have locks that work well enough.

It's a "for now" solution until I win the lottery and build a stand alone shop and get out of the basement.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
38 1/2" high workbench top is exceptionally high. You're going to have to make riser blocks to fit between the planer base and the planer stand. You will be able to set the outfeed table height precisely.

I also recommend replacing the wheels with 5" double-locking swivel caster wheels. They will make the whole set up so much easier to move around and over power cords and thresholds. Yea, you're increasing the cost, but Lowe's carries some perfectly acceptable caster wheels for under $20 each.

Since you might be buying new wheels, maybe the best solution is to build your own stand. A 1/2 sheet of quality 3/4" plywood should be plenty to build a stand with storage underneath. Be sure to measure out your layout for all the pieces before you buy the plywood.

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
For now, it won't outfeed to the work table.

Once I'm done with the reconfiguring of the work table, I'll see where it all ends up.

I think right now, I'm only on version 3.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS