DeWalt planer blades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Are these blades carbide tipped?

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Took an an hour each to get sharp, but they shave now!

image.jpeg

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Dont look to be carbide then agian they dont look like mine either....got some on sale a year or so ago for 30 bucks....bought two sets. Not worth sharpening at that price considering you can flip them over and get another life out of them

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
This is the 733 planer, it does not use the reversible double sided blades.

if you look close you can see there is an insert of a different metal maybe 1/16 inch thick and 3/8 inch deep into the blade.
I think it is carbide because it takes four times as long to sharpen by hand as a regulation tool steel blade.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Not sure on the carbide question but it does look like there is a seam...

Out of curiosity Mike, what method do you use to sharpen planer knives?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I sharpen by hand on DMT diamond plates.

Also not sure if it's carbide; I searched and couldn't find carbide planer blades for the DeWalt 733. Diamond is about 10 on the Moh hardness scale and titanium or tungsten carbide is about 9-9.5 so they're close and may explain why it took longer to sharpen.

Related to the general topic of carbide tools: Making a table saw blade with carbide teeth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oNQN0dRD54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SgdTXphEJ4

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Tungsten carbide products are often made from tungsten carbide powder cemented with another metal. This metal is often cobalt which is magnetic. 6% cobalt by weight is a typical percentage. Cobalt cemented tungsten carbide is magnetic enough to be picked up with a strong magnet. Tungsten carbide by itself would have very low to no ferromagnetic properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS