DeWalt DW929 18v 2002-2019, RIP

nn4jw

New User
Jim
After 17 years of use my DeWalt DW929 18v drill passed away this afternoon. It went as it would have wanted, drilling a series of #10 counter sink woodscrew holes. For several months it had been ill, you could smell that burning electric odor every time you used it. It had several battery transplants over its life but, alas, 18v batteries have gotten much harder to find in recent years and ever more expensive.

The autopsy revealed much carbon dust from worn and cracked brushes, much of it in places where it could cause the most harm, namely all over the motor internals. Now its remains will be scattered in the local dumpster.

DW929 is survived by a brand new DeWalt DCD791D2 with two strapping young 20v Max lithium ion batteries and a half inch chuck.

gesiak

John
Corporate Member
Not that it will aid you now that the drill has passed. DeWalt sells a 20v adapter for the 18v tools. Currently HomeDepot, carries it. It comes with the adapter, 2 2AH batteries, and charger for $149. A replacement NiCad 18v battery is $99, a two pack is $149. If you have other 18v tools, this may be a way to extend their life and get 20v lithium ion performance.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Not that it will aid you now that the drill has passed. DeWalt sells a 20v adapter for the 18v tools. Currently HomeDepot, carries it. It comes with the adapter, 2 2AH batteries, and charger for $149. A replacement NiCad 18v battery is $99, a two pack is $149. If you have other 18v tools, this may be a way to extend their life and get 20v lithium ion performance.

Thanks, I'll keep that in the back of my mind for when the remaining 18v batteries die. I still have another 18v drill and 2 impact drivers that should last more years.

edit - After some looking around I see that the battery adapter alone is available (DCA 1820) for $39 (Amazon) and a 2ah battery is $49.98. Since I already have the charger and 2 batteries with the new drill that will cover the shop tools quite nicely and all the 18v nicads will migrate from the shop to the house for the tools there. Thanks for the original info that got me looking.

Last edited:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I bought that adapter after mistakenly buying an 18v impact driver some time back. All my tools are 20v so it was a no brainer to buy the adapter and it works just fine on the 18v tool.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS