Dewalt 788

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Re: Tool Review/things to consider

Just a note on the dewalt scroll saw.

Lots of folks think the Dewalt is a step up from the other benchtops out there. It really isn't as far as I'm concerned. Either get a decent benchtop and spend around $150 to $200 or spend the cash for the Hawk. There really is no in between. The Ryobi 18" that I gave Dave was as good of a scroll saw as any benchtop out there. Too bad I don't think they make it anymore. The upper line Delta is a pretty good little machine too.

The ease of blade change is a very important factor. For scroll work you are always removing one end of the blade. Vibration is important, but all benchtops will have some. It is just the nature of the reciprocation motion. Clamp it down to a heavy bench and you'll be much happier with it.

John

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member

woodguy1975 said:
Just a note on the dewalt scroll saw.

Lots of folks think the Dewalt is a step up from the other benchtops out there. It really isn't as far as I'm concerned.
John

I think you just Volunteered:eusa_danc

First, there is a review forum on the site. Anyone can post a review or request a review.

Now that WG has Volunteered:rolf: , perhaps he would like to post a review of the the Dewalt. Seriously, I'd be very interested in why the DeWalt is not a step above the others. WG that's not a challange, I ajm really interested on your thoughts 9in this area. Also since this seems to be a very popular subject, it might help get the "Review" forum going.

woodguy1975

New User
John

I'll work on it. I've used the Dewalt a few times and never had a high impression of it. Vibration and blade change wise it was no better than the Ryobi. If I get time maybe I'll take some pics for illustration.

This may help in the mean time.

http://www.plansnow.com/reviewscroll.html

John

Last edited:

Jay

New User
Jay

I am looking to get a scroll saw and was at woodcraft the other day. There was one of the guys working on the dewalt at the time. I asked him about the saws that they had there, the dewalt and the delta I had been thinking about getting. I asked him what his recomendation was and he said that he definitely like the dewalt over the delta for reasons of blade change quickness and vibration. He showed me the blade change process for the dewalt and it definitely looked quick. Of course he was an experienced hand. As for the vibration he turned both on for me and I could definitely feel more vibration in the delta in comparison. Both these saws were on metal tripods. I bring this up not to argue but maybe someone can explain to me if there is some reason I am not comparing apples to apples or something. I would definitely love to spend less if I am convinced it will be an equal saw. Thanks

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames

Howdy all, great thread so far but I think we need to include model numbers or sizes when we are discussing scrollsaws. I currently have the DeWalt DW788 which is their 20" variable speed model and I love it and some of the previous descriptions of the Dewalt mentioned above do not sound like they apply to the DW788.

The DW788 sells new at Amazon for $439 and here are a few of the features:
B000022313.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

• Double parallel-link arm design dramatically reduces vibration and noise
  • 2-inch depth of cut, 400/1750 SPM
  • Tool-free blade changing
B000022313.01.PT01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif

• On-off switch, electronic variable speed located on the front upper arm
B000022313.01.PT02._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B000022313.01.PT03._SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif

• Oversize, cast iron table, bevels 45 degree left & right
The DW778 has a lot of mass to it, thanks to the cast iron table, helps to reduce vibrations. My Mom has been using an RBI Hawk for years now and when she used my DW788 she said she like the over all performance, design features (front mounted controls), and ease of blade changes. I have used her Hawk in the past and IMHO find the Dewalt's performance to be at the same level.

Here is one of the reviews posted on Amazon that some of you might find useful. It explains that the DW788 was designed and manufactured by the same folks that make the Excaliber.

Reviewer:"woodwurx" (New England, USA) - See all my reviews
The DeWalt saw is designed and manufactured by Sommervile Design in Canada. They make the Excaliber Scroll saw. The Dewalt Saw is very much like the excaliber in that it has very low vibration and having a very smooth operation. I had a dewalt but had to move up to the excaliber because of the work i produced, unless you use a scroll saw for 6 - 12 hours per day, buy this saw. The only problem I had was the motor could not take the beating i gave it, i cut 3/4 to 1 1/2 thickness wood all the time, although the saw handled that thickness with ease, it could not keep my pace. If your a hobbiest cutting moderately its a GREAT saw. It has a quick release for the blade and you can change blades in seconds, the blade tension is right there in front, the top arm lifts for getting work on and off the table. Fairly quiet operation. Don't waste your money on the light, its not bright at all and does not help. Assembly is a snap upon getting the saw, just put the table on and your ready to go. I have used everything out there, besides the Excaliber, the dewalt is the next best thing. Whats nice about the dewalt, it has the same design as the excaliber in that like other saws that have the full top and lower arms that of course move up and down, the dewalt like the excaliber has only tips of the arms move, the tips that move are only about 4" long, less moving thus less vibration. Inside the top and bottom arms there is a flat rod that move back and forth that moves the tips up and down. When you get your new dewalt and you see how smooth, quiet, and just about no vibration, imagine a saw twice to 3 times better that the dewalt and you have the Excaliber. I think one of the reasons why the Excaliber can take what i dish out is that it is belt driven, this of course increases the power and the strain on the motor, if the dewalt goes belt driven I'll get another one.

D L

woodguy1975

New User
John

The problem I have with the Dewalt 788s I've used is vibration. The arm design is very much the same as the benchtop models out there. After using the dewalt at demos and classes and coming back to my Ryobi 18" I noticed not much of a difference in the vibration. The blade tensioning was better, but that was really about it. When I went looking for my final scroll saw I gave the Dewalt another test drive. I came back to the same conclusion. Lots of vibration and not a tremendous step up from the Ryobi I had. When I stepped up and looked at the Hawk G4 and Hegner I saw huge difference in vibration, the design, fit and finish, noise.... everything. The whole experience was totally different.

The dewalt 788 that DL has is a step up from the typical benchtop models, but it wasn't enough of a step for the $$$. While the Hawk G4 was 3 times the cost of the Dewalt I felt I was getting what I was looking for. I don't know any other scrollsaw that will pass the nickel test even while starting and stopping.

It comes down to your budget. If $500 is your cap, the dewalt 788 will probably be your top answer. If you don't have a cap on your budget I think once you try an upper level saw you'll feel the same way I do. It could be that all of the Dewalts I tried, like 8 of them, were not setup properly and not preforming at their top level, but I don't think so.

I invite anyone seriously looking at scroll saws to test drive my G4. I think it will turn your head too.

Thanks,

John

Last edited:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames

Good points on the price cap consideration John, That truly is a major consideration. I am not familiar with the Hawk line to know if the model my Mom has is a G4 or not but I do know that they have redesigned the trunnion system they use for their table since she bought hers. I was with Dad at one of the WWing shows when he asked about a retro kit for the older Hawks and I believe the cost was a bit more that he wanted to spend to upgrade Mom's Hawk.

I would go give my 788 the nickle test but I have my stand set up where the back is elevated 3-4" in order to tilt the table towards me as I am sitting at the saw.

D L

woodguy1975

New User
John

The G4 is their brand new model that just came out this past year. You can adjust this saw's blade orbit so it is exactly straight up and down for veneer work too. That was important to me since Parquetry was one of my goals to learn.

This has been a good thread for potential scrollers out there. Lots of good info. The tilting of the saw really does help in scrolling. I haven't do it, but that is because I don't do an incredible amount of scrolling.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
DeltaQ3.gif
This is not mine, but the same model. Delta Q3 18" which I bought at WWS a few years back. I don't use it a lot but when I do, it runs very smooth and has very little vibration. I believe Delta discontinued this model but don't know why. Anyway, just thought I would throw in my .02.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS