Dewalt 746X advantages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkintKnuckle

New User
Martin
I really have the fever (I think I caught it from you guys!) and finally made up my mind to upgrade my table saw. Currently I have a 10 inch Skillsaw table model, which my father in law upgraded from and gave to me. So, a contractor level saw is going to be like going from a moped to a lincoln town car.

I've been reading all the table saw posts with great interest and narrowed down to 3 that I feel meet my needs and am actually leaning towards the Dewalt:

- Dewalt 746X
- Ridgid TS-3650
- Delta 36-680

It seems that everyone who has the Dewalt recomends them very highly, in most cases above the any other brand/model. I realize that the Dewalt has the motor tucked away inside rather than hanging off the back and that it's a 1 3/4 horse compared to 1 1/2 for the other 2. But the others are significantly cheaper and offer cast iron wings, compared to steel wings on the Dewalt.

All 3 seem to get really great reviews, especially with regard to the fence. I looked the Ridgid over very closely at Home Depot today, and it really looks to be pretty stout. Plus, Home Depot is currently running a sale on thier tools.

What advantages does the Dewalt have above the others listed?

Thanks ahead for any input.

RandyJ

New User
Randy
SkintKnuckle, I can't really comment on the other saws but I have the Delta 36-451 X5 w/cast iron wings, 30" extension and Biesemeyer fence. It is rock solid and I haven't had any problems cutting thick, hard stock. The fence is great with NO wiggle. not sure how the other saw's prices compare but I love the Delta.
Good luck in your quest,
Randy

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
You can't go wrong with any of the three saws you're looking at. All three are terrific saws and they get terrific reviews in the wood magazines. I have the DeWalt and love it. I went a bit overboard when I got this thing... I got it with the long extension and the slider. Very solid saw. Cuts anything beautifully. One big difference might be in fences. Think of jigs you might want to make or use. Have a friend available to help with setup... these things area really heavy. With the DeWalt, you put it together upside down and then flip it over (ergo the need for a strong friend).

Good luck with the upgrade... and post a picture of the new toy... I mean tool.

Ray

R

rickc

I have the TS3650, and have been extremely happy with it. I have previously posted quite a bit on this site about it. I have a smaller shop - half of a two car garage, and have found the standard Herc-u-lift system invaluable.

I agree with the sentiment that all are good saws. Somewhere you will get to make the actual decision and then just take the time to learn your saw, and how to make it fit your needs.

One last word to think about - whichever one you decide to go for, try offering the store a little bit less - like $50. You might just have another tool gloat to post! Hope you enjoy your new saw - whichever one it is!

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
you might know which saw I would suggest you look at. check your Lowes, you may find a smoking deal on what you see to the left

DavidF

New User
David
I would go with the dewalt. The standard fence is superb. I do have a cast iron, left wing table for sale if you get the one with the steel wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS