Dewalt 20v Battery A Look Inside

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I am working on anew tool for work and needed a cannibalize a Dewalt battery. I had a 2013 2 amp hr battery that was beginning to not hold a charge.
So, I took it apart to get what I needed from it. As you can see, it is nothing more than 5 - 18650 3.7 volt batteries
wired in series. The actual battery is 18.5 volts, but most lithium batteries are charged to 110% of their rating which makes it able to hold a 20.35 volt charge. Ergo a 20v battery claim. I would bet the 5 amp hr ones are 2 sets of 5 set in series and then tied together in parallel.

Kinda cool huh ? ....and this habit of taking things apart got me the title as a kid (smash, rip and ruin) :p

.......... some habits never die..........

Attachments

• 20191110_113718.jpg
    20191110_113718.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 203

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Batteries + has rebuilt battery backs for wireless tools for me in the past. You could probably buy the batteries without cannabilizing DeWalt's package, but where is the fun in that?

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Kits and individual cells for NiCad 12v and 18v are readily available on line. I haven't checked for the Lithium ones though. (Probably ground shipping only) . That one sure looks simpler than the 18v DeWalt NiCad that has 15 cells hooked in series and stacked to fit into the case.

Last edited:

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you want to nerd out on battery packs, look around the AvE youtube channel. Be warned, he uses a lot of "colorful" language.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS