Dewalt 18 Volt Batteries

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
I few a couple of Dewalt drills that use the 18-volt batteries. They will no longer hold a charge, searched the web for replacements. All I found was some for about $120.00. Found some "knock offs" for a lot less, but a little skeptical about those. Dont want to toss the drills, but if I cant find replacement batteries at a decent price.
Lowes at one time sold Dewalt and I could buy a drill plus the batteries for about $120.00. Not anymore, I checked Home Depot and all they have is the 20-volt drill package.
Do you know where I can get a couple of these batteries at a good price?
Model # DC9098

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Dennis's adapter idea is good. Once you have the 20v batteries you can expand into that line as necessary.

A stop-gap idea is to order a couple cheap replacements for now to see how they hold up. If you don't like them you can wait for Black Friday sales on tool combos. You could probably get a nice, name-brand drill/impact driver combo with batteries and charger for $150.

1597352707421.png

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I bought a couple of the generic replacement batteries for my DC9098 in 2015 from Amazon. They are still working just fine after 5 years.
I paid $52.99 for a two pack, but that brand does not appear to be available anymore. I do see quite a few others in the $35 to $40 range.

Amazon.com : dc9098 batery

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
What Dewalt doesn't tell you about the 18-20 volt adapter (until after you buy it) - The adapter continues to use power as long as a battery is plugged in.

So, if like me, you only tend to use your drill on weekends. Don't leave the battery connected to the adapter. Or the next time you want to use it.
The battery will be dead.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Those Dewalt batteries are NiMh and the charger is designed for that type of battery. The third party replacement batteries are lithium based and should not be charged with the old Dewalt charger. If you want to try this, please do this outside away from anything flammable. I use the Makita 18v system - they are excellent

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
What Dewalt doesn't tell you about the 18-20 volt adapter (until after you buy it) - The adapter continues to use power as long as a battery is plugged in.

So, if like me, you only tend to use your drill on weekends. Don't leave the battery connected to the adapter. Or the next time you want to use it.
The battery will be dead.

I bought the 20 volt adapter for my 18 volt DeWalt tools, and just as Ken said, the 20 volt Li-ion batteries does continually discharge when left connected to the tools via the adapter. Moreover, when using the 20 volt battery/adapter set-up I found that freshly charged batteries did not hold there charge anywhere close to what I had become use to with the regular 18 volt NiCd battery. My solution was to quit fighting the inevitable, I bought 20 volt DeWalt combo kit.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Those Dewalt batteries are NiMh and the charger is designed for that type of battery. The third party replacement batteries are lithium based and should not be charged with the old Dewalt charger. If you want to try this, please do this outside away from anything flammable. I use the Makita 18v system - they are excellent

That's a good point, make sure you get the same type that came with your drill/charger. There are quite a few listed on Amazon that are NiMH.
Amazon.com: Sypousy 2 Packs 18V 3.6Ah Ni-MH Battery Replacement for Dewalt 18 Volt XRP DC9096 DC9098 DC9099 DE9098 DE9503 DW9095 DW9096 DW9098 Cordless Power Tools 2 Packs: Home Audio & Theater

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Check about having them rebuilt, using all new cells. Usually only one, or maybe two cells fail, and just like a chain, it's only as strong as it's weakest link.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
As said above amazon generic replacements, havent had an issue with them for many years usually 2 for less than branded 1

Cuprousworks

Mike
User
Agree with generics. I bought two 4000mAH for $37 shipped. Experience so far is they are strong enough and hold the charge well.

I'm not making my living with or even working with the tools every day, so they fit my needs. I'm happy to get a couple more years out of my tools investment.
Mike

Skymaster

New User
Jack
I use them every day. I have 12v Milwaukee also and they are great,that said the milwaukee 2a hr is 32 dollars, I bought a pair of 4a hr generics for 39 dollars

Herdfan2005

New User
Jason
Agree with generics. I bought two 4000mAH for $37 shipped. Experience so far is they are strong enough and hold the charge well.

I'm not making my living with or even working with the tools every day, so they fit my needs. I'm happy to get a couple more years out of my tools investment.
Mike
I ordered a pair today for about 40 bucks. Should be here tomorrow.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Check about having them rebuilt, using all new cells. Usually only one, or maybe two cells fail, and just like a chain, it's only as strong as it's weakest link.
Batteries Plus and Interstate Batteries may rebuild any battery that has a screwed on case and is not Lithium Ion. They are not able to get cells for Li-I batteries due to transportation restrictions. As for the drainage issue with the 18v adapter, it's never been a problem for me, bu ti typically use the larger 4.0/5.0 ah batteries. The 2.0s are for flashlights.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Update:
Purchased a couple of batteries from Amazon "knock-offs" and they arrived Saturday. Dropped them in the charger, they did seem to get a little warmer than previous batteries but took a charge and appear to be working. I have not used them under any heavy use to determine a charge life.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Update:
Purchased a couple of batteries from Amazon "knock-offs" and they arrived Saturday. Dropped them in the charger, they did seem to get a little warmer than previous batteries but took a charge and appear to be working. I have not used them under any heavy use to determine a charge life.
I bought some knockoffs a few years back and they did very well but I had problems charging them in a DeWalt charger and had to get a 3rd party charger for them. It charges OEM batteries fine too, though. Got some more knockoffs a few months back and don't have that problem at all with them.

Herdfan2005

New User
Jason
Update:
I'll update as well, got the 2 knockoffs and charged them both up and have been using them fine, I guess the test will see how long they last but at 40 bucks for 2 batteries, so far the reward is better then the risk. Nice having my old impact gun working again.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS