Desk drawer - design?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I am in the midst of making a 'Work from Home' desk - that my wife will use during the pandemic. It will eventually replace the functional but ugly corporate-office cast-off Steelcase desk in the actual home office.

I have the top and legs made - and then we decided that this should be more than a table but be a desk. The difference is a the desk drawer.

Having read most of the wonderfully detailed WC posts of both Bill Tindall and Derek Cohen, I am emboldened to attempt a drawer. I have made 10 or so tables, but these all had a a solid skirt. Now that the front skirt is 'broken up' I have some design questions.

1. The width of the skirt is 28 inches, and depth 17" (table/desk top is 44 wide and 23 deep). With that geometry, is a full 28" width desk drawer advisable? Note that I will not be using commercial drawer slides.

2. With an approximately 2.75" height on the skirt, that's the max height on the drawer. If I use a traditional construction like shaker end tables, with a tenoned in bottom cross-rail and dovetailed top cross-rail, I'd lose 3/4" of drawer height for each (not rails for the drawer, but the cross pieces that are structural like a front skirt). If I use these, the max drawer height would be 1.25", not much for a drawer. So how do I keep keep a reasonable height drawer and have a structure that both supports the drawer and provides a solid desk structure?

My inclination is skip the top cross rail and use only the bottom cross rail - and using the desk top to 'trap the drawer'. What would you do?

Hoping my descriptions give you enough info to understand my question.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS