Desk Clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianBDH

New User
Brian
Here is my latest little project intended to be a gift for my departing boss. (Yes, I actually liked him. We were friends in college where I first met him in 1983.)

103_2628.JPG

103_2629.JPG

The top and bottom are Walnut and the center is Mahogany. Made from cut-offs that I had in my rack. The clock in the center was very inexpensive, but I liked the "leather" edge.

Anyway, I am looking for "design" comments. After this was assembled, I started getting the feeling that the top was too large. Maybe it would look better if it was smaller than the bottom.

I have the pieces cut for a second clock, but I can still modify them to change the design. So you guys who have a better eye for asthetics, please let me know what you think. I won't be working on the second clock for a couple of weeks, so no hurry.

As always, thanks.

Brian

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I like the wood selections, Brian. But I agree with you that the top seems too heavy. When I'm puzzling one of my designs, I'll often use cutoffs or cheap pine to make a component for visualizing how it would look, before I cut my money wood.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Brian, I agree with Joe. The wood selections work extremely well together, but with an eye toward proportionality, I think your work would be best served if it were less top-heavy.

Thanks for sharing!
Donn

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Definitely some pretty wood! I wonder if you could get a better sense of proportion if you made the top thinner instead of smaller (length/ width). It would preserve the symmetry. +1 on Joe's tip on using some inexpensive materials for a mockup.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I am with the others. If the top was about 1/2 as thick, perhaps it would look lighter and not as top heavy.:eusa_thin

I agree that the choice of wood looks great and really like that leather banded clock face. Can't say that I have ever seen one like and it suits the design perfectly.

Well done Brian and I am sure he will really like it and display it proudly!:icon_thum

Wayne

BrianBDH

New User
Brian
Thanks everybody. I like the idea of thinner for the top. I will try that for the next one.

The clock came from Olly's in Cary (it is like a Big Lots). I bought 5 of them for $2 each before Christmas. I made some smaller desk clocks as gifts and had this one left over. Really cheap, but nobody has to know that do they!

I wish I had the time to mock up parts to test designs. I just don't have time to do things twice. My shop time is very limited so the best I can do is a scaled drawing to try to see how things will look.

Thanks again,

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS