Designing a Boathouse - Want to Hire a Draftsman - AutoCad/SketchUP Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
I am looking to hire a draftsman to work with to draw up some design plans for a boathouse. I don't need structural/stamped blueprints but instead just need something with sufficient detail for me to understand the design, show my wife (very important as she is a "visual" person) and communicate the design to the contractor. I've seen a few ads on CL offering drafting services but thought I would reach out to someone here before going to CL. Anyone interested or any recommendations? Below are some links to what I want to design and build (double boathouse with sundeck on top) as well as an overhead plan and a 3D rendering (different style of boathouse). Feel free to PM me if you prefer. With the holiday weekend, my response may be delayed. Thanks.

Double Boathouse/Sundeck #1: https://imagesus-ssl.homeaway.com/mda01/a3c555b4-82e8-47c9-b02d-6f7deb6542a3.1.10

Double Boathouse/Sundeck #2: [FONT=&amp]http://corbitthills.com/boathouses/nggallery/galleries/riverbend-boathouses

3D 3.jpg Double Slip Boathouse.jpg
[/FONT]

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Hi Christopher, this is something I could help you with. I always work in 3D or physical models and CAD for the same reasons you mentioned. I'm also in the area so we can meet in person if it helps. Have we met at the Triangle lunch group? My contact info (and website with examples) is in my signature below. Feel free to email with more details or give me a call.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Steve, what software are you using to do your designs in? Feel free to PM instead or responding here if you prefer.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Steve, what software are you using to do your designs in?

I always start with hand sketching and then work back and forth between SketchUp Pro and AutoCAD. If I'm working through design ideas, I like 3D. If I'm working through detailing or drawings, I like 2D. Physical drawing and modeling are fundamental all along the process. The Maxwell Render plugin for SketchUp is stand-out for technically accurate lighting, materials, and textures.

(Since experimenting with Revit in 2003 or so, I've still not found a single BIM solution sharp enough at both ends of this scale. Both 2D and 3D results are surpassed by the dedicated solutions. In my experience, BIM goes no faster and requires more review to confirm detailing and assure quality, in addition to a ton of hardware to run it collaboratively.)

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I would agree with the Revit summation, in my experience it seemed to require too much front end information that was not always there. I was only curious as I'm always interested in what works best for other people and if there are other software that could be better, cheaper, faster. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS