Designed and built my first portabottiglie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
This past week I've been working on this portabottiglie, also known around here as a wine rack. This was requested by an artist friend a few months ago with the design completely left up to me. I'm not sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing. I just couldn't bring myself to make a plain jane rack for someone that creates and teaches art. Good or bad, here's what I came up with. I'm kinda afraid that it will be too contemporary. If it is, I guess it'll be traveling the craft show circuit with me.

Wine_Rack.jpg

It's made of Leopard wood, hard maple, wenge stripe and ebony pull. Middle shelves and the drawer box is baltic birch. Finish is 4 coats of General's satin wiping urethane gel.

mikeacg

New User
Mike
Very nice! I like the grain in the leopard wood! I also love the name: portabottiglie. I googled it for images and found lots of great stuff!

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Great job - I really like the way you put the two together and made something that is not straight - cool design

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Very nice project. It's the details that make something like this "come off".

Your use of contrasting plugs or dowels in the joinery is one of those small noticeable details that I enjoy seeing. True craftsmanship here!! Again, Nice work.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Whew! You scared me for a minute, Robert. I though at first you had started an import business, and the portabottiglie was a cheap knockoff of the sturdy American-made whatchmacallit.

I like the design, do not think it too contemporary. If it is, just hand on to it until it comes back in fashion. :widea:

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
That right there is a darn nice portapigglye...portaboggliy...uh--cabinet. Nice use of beautiful wood grain and contrasting wood. I'm betting he'll really like it. I'd even bet he can spell what you called it, too.:gar-La;

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Looks great Robert. I really like the contrasting woods and overall design. I'm sure they'll love it. :icon_thum

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Beautiful work!

(See how I got around my spelling handicap?)

I think it fits an artist, only 6 spots for wine so she won't feel bad having it too empty, cause everybody knows about starving artists. :rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors