Design your own?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
This is related to this thread http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54902

It's about designing your furniture from scratch without any plans other than a concept that you came up with. Where to start? :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s37RP3mVnTg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xgw84Kwrh8

http://lostartpress.com/products/by-hand-eye-1

They're proportion guidelines and not absolutes so adjust them as you wish to fit your project. Have fun and explore the options on paper and in SketchUp.

Have you used this approach for your designs? How'd it work out for you with specific projects?

A few of my experiments using the +/- method.

P6070003.jpg

P1090016.jpg

P10900101.jpg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I usually lay out what pieces of wood I have, go looking in the bin for a little more, then see if it will all fit together. If I have enough I start cutting. If not I look to see if I have a contrasting wood to make 30% to 40% of the pieces and go from there.

The size ends up being whatever is the largest common factor of the wood I have.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
I usually ask my wife what size does she need it to be such as for books, storage, etc. and then I build accordingly

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Whatever works and don't get hung up on the relative proportion details. If it looks good and you have the wood on hand build it as you can to SWMBO specs.

BTW, don't take my box pics as a purist design using the proportion concept. They're what I had in the scrap box and gave them away so I don't have measurements to check if I was anywhere close. The recipients haven't told me that the boxes are whacky and out of proportion but they did say "thanks, we like them". :icon_cheers

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
plans? plans? we dont need no steenking plans! I just get a picture in my head and build it out of whatever I have on hand. If not on hand I get what ever I need and start cutting. so far it has worked out. I've only used plans a few times and then they were mere suggestions.:gar-Bi

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
plans? plans? we dont need no steenking plans! I just get a picture in my head and build it out of whatever I have on hand. If not on hand I get what ever I need and start cutting. so far it has worked out. I've only used plans a few times and then they were mere suggestions.:gar-Bi
He's telling the truth!
This had Sketch-up plans;
1st_box.JPG

This was just some scrap he has laying around;
DPP_0008.JPG

Ya' can't hide talent! :wwink:

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I usually make a pencil and paper sketch with basic dimensions and build from there. I also go through the project mentally to figure out what order to make pieces. I sometimes adjust dimensions based upon materials I have available. For furniture, I like to refer to standard dimensions although I usually make things taller than called for.

I've built things without plans but wouldn't for anything major. Too easy to waste wood and time.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I like the input and discussion. We have woodworkers here who have no plans, a dull pencil, dirty paper, and the seat of their pants which itch so they scratch. Hmmm?

Put those together and we have a "plan". No disrespect but Fred P is well known for his head scratching and lollygagging to get it done.

Geez Fred, just build the darn thing in 1 hour or less! ;)

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I usually pencil mine out on butcher paper. I find that I suffer construction creep if I don't have at least a scale dwg to show the lines!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I like the input and discussion. We have woodworkers here who have no plans, a dull pencil, dirty paper, and the seat of their pants which itch so they scratch. Hmmm?

Put those together and we have a "plan". No disrespect but Fred P is well known for his head scratching and lollygagging to get it done.

Geez Fred, just build the darn thing in 1 hour or less! ;)

yep! measure with a micrometer mark it with a crayon, cut with an axe. it's all good so long as you got 30 grit sandpaper from klingspore.:rotflm:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
O.K. so who takes a PW or FW plan and "Makes it their own?"

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

I've done that on paying projects. [sort of] customer says I want this. I look at the picture, get the overall dimensions and build it my way anyways. never had a customer complain. I let them know up front that I will use my own judgement and it wont look exactly like the picture. I hate doing replicas. most of what I do is one off with few exceptions. obviously a pair of end tables, set of cabinets ect... will be matching but that set won't be duplicated by me for another customer. similar maybe but not duplicated.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
shhhh. dont tell anybody but I stole those pics!:rotflm:
Thats what happens when you have talent

I've done that on paying projects. [sort of] customer says I want this. I look at the picture, get the overall dimensions and build it my way anyways. never had a customer complain. I let them know up front that I will use my own judgement and it wont look exactly like the picture. I hate doing replicas. most of what I do is one off with few exceptions. obviously a pair of end tables, set of cabinets ect... will be matching but that set won't be duplicated by me for another customer. similar maybe but not duplicated.

Fred walks into his shop looks at the lumber and says what's up #####es :lol

Last edited:

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User

I tend to work exactly this way as well, always have. I even have access to state of the art 3D CAD (Pro/Engineer) which I have been using for 23 years. The truth is, MOST pieces we make today follow standards that are easy to follow and I typically dont deviate from them very often. By standards I mean, table height, chair height, dressers, etc. These things give me my base proportions and then I have artistic license so to speak depending on style. Style dictates the other artistic license for me, I wouldnt use certain edge treatment or joinery if I were building a federal style cabinet for instance.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I start from one or more designs in something I like and incorporate everything I like about each one. Sometimes I make up things completely from nothing. Ultimately, I have never built something exactly as the plan, the closest I got was a blanket chest but I changed the side material (solid vice ply), dimensions and bottom. One day I would like to build something exactly by a plan just to make the process easier and I can concentrate on technique and process vice problem-solving.

nn4jw

New User
Jim

I might look at a picture and decide I want something similar, use the plan as a starting point to get a general idea of its size and then I scrawl a few of the major measurements on a notepad for reference. After that it depends on what wood I have on hand and what I feel like doing. If the project has to mate with something else (like when making a headboard) the existing part (the bed) dictates the primary measurements.

I don't think I've ever built anything to a set of plans. Too much like building someone else's project or a kit for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS