Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Please vote for a date.

Demystifying Design with Stuart Kent at Scott Smith’s Shop in Raleigh

Saturday (October 25 or November 15)

$135 per person, class size limited to 25 people.

· $45 deposit required for registration, checks by mail and all major credit cards accepted.
· If a cancellation is necessary, deposits are fully refundable up to the Wednesday before the class (October 22 or November 12). After that Wednesday, deposits will be non-refundable.

Contact Stuart Kent at 252-916-8226 or stuart@stuartkent.com to register.

Class Description

Design is a pursuit. It is an abstract concept that many woodworkers struggle to truly understand. However, like its sibling music theory, visual design does have structure and can be understood. This class will introduce the framework of visual design and help to demystify some of the deeper abstract problems in the process. Participants will learn the terminology of the design language, and methodologies for creating better designs.
The day will consist of a 3 hour morning class, lunch, and a 2 hour design workshop with a 1 hour afternoon design critique. All materials, refreshments, and lunch are included.
The morning will begin with a slide presentation on major furniture design styles and a discussion on what makes them visually successful. We will discuss some important conceptual aspects of design and how to become conscious of them. The presentation will also include examples of design evolution, wood selection, the sophistication of a finish and its impact on a design. Following the presentation there will be a brief Q & A session and then lunch from Scott’s grill!!!
After lunch there will be a 2 hour design workshop where students will learn to apply some of the design framework discussed in the morning session. Stuart will provide the workshop materials. During the workshop Stuart will give individualized feedback on an original design to anyone interested – bring your sketchbooks!
To finish out the day, Stuart will moderate a one hour group critique of participants’ original designs. This will help participants understand how other people perceive their work. The critique will help each person understand where and how their designs are succeeding, and how each maker can improve future pieces. You are invited to bring an original small finished piece, original hand drawings, or original printed computer renderings for the critique. Learning to critique with intention and purpose is a critical step in understanding the abstract nuances in the pursuit of better design, and will in turn it will help you create better pieces.

I look forward to meeting all of you,
Stuart.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Folks, it has been my good fortune to have not only met Stuart, but also to have had thought provoking and enlightening discussions with him about woodworking design. I believe that this class represents an extraordinary opportunity to learn from someone that is not only a gifted artist and craftsman, but also one who is skilled in teaching. Many artists cannot teach, and many teachers cannot create. Stuart has the rare combination of both gifts and the ability to convey what are sometimes abstract concepts in a way that is easy to comprehend.

I personally am not making anything off of this class. I am so impressed by Stuarts knowledge and ability that I decided to make my shop available free of charge so that others in the Triangle area could join me in learning from him. I hope that many of my fellow NCWW members take advantage of this opportunity.

Scott

ps: Here is his bio:

Stuart Kent is a Senior Fulbright Art Scholar. He is also one of the youngest senior members of the Council for the International Exchange of Scholars and the Institute for International Education. He has designed, implemented, and taught comprehensive curricula for undergraduate and graduate studies in art internationally.

As an Assistant Professor he has taught fine art, design, and woodworking in multiple countries. He has also published and directed collegiate foreign study programs in fine art for multiple universities in the United States, leading college students to destinations throughout Europe and Central America.

Stuart now operates Stuart Kent & Co. fine art & furniture, a custom woodworking business in Greenville, NC. His furniture and sculpture has been awarded and exhibited internationally, with many pieces being permanently acquired by museums, galleries, and prominent art collectors.

In pursuing his dedication to the promotion of woodworking entrepreneurship, Stuart now teaches privately by appointment.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I have a prior commitment on October 25th, so November 15th is my preference. I'd like to be there for sure even though I live nearly 250 miles west of Scott's farm. It will give me a great excuse to come visit my daughter and grandson in Apex! Count me in if the class is on 11/15.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Hi guys, glad to hear you are interested! I look forward to meeting you at Scott's! I have signed up a few folks through my website and social media contacts, so it looks like we will have a good turnout. Most of them prefer November also, so it's looking more and more like that will be the date. I wanted to ask you all to send me an email at stuart@stuartkent.com so I can send you an invoice to reserve your spot in the class. Be sure to tell your friends to sign up soon too!

Thanks,

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Hello all,

it looks like November 15 will most likely be the date for the class. If you have any friends that want to sign up for the class please tell them to get in touch with me. So far we are up to 12 people (a few signed up through my website).

I look forward to meeting you all in person.

Alex Stokes

New User
Alex
I won't have a schedule for November till later in the month, but I'd like to vote for Nov 15th too! I know I'm working on the 25th. Love to come.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
I won't have a schedule for November till later in the month, but I'd like to vote for Nov 15th too! I know I'm working on the 25th. Love to come.

Hi Alex, that's great, I hope you can make it. The vote is clear, the date will be November 15. I'd like to reserve a seat for you, so please let me know as soon as you can. I look forward to meeting you.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Signed up another through my website last night! There are still a few seats so if you have a friend, please let them know about the class. It will be fun to meet everyone, talk design, have lunch at Scott's (and pick up some lumber :D).

Alex Stokes

New User
Alex
Stuart, I don't get my November schedule until Oct 29th. I'll let you know after I get it. If there's no seat, no worries - I'll catch you next time. Sometimes work interferes with life! lol

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Stuart, I don't get my November schedule until Oct 29th. I'll let you know after I get it. If there's no seat, no worries - I'll catch you next time. Sometimes work interferes with life! lol

no worries, I already put you on my list. If the class fills and we end up one or two people over it is a non issue (it only becomes an issue when a class is several over). Let me know as soon as you can, I hope you can make it!

HBFlyer.com

New User
HB
Hey Guys I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

Can I get the particulars so I can plan. It's a long haul from Hilton Head and I'd like to plan the trip. Where am I going and what time does it start/end?
Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS