Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derek

New User
Derek
Hi all,
Want to take just a minute and introduce myself. I've been in the construction industry from the "ground up" so to speak, for over 30 years. My lifelong dream is to build highend custom furniture and antique reproductions of the same caliber as those featured in woodworking mags we've all come to know and love and actually be able to earn money enough to support myself and my lovely wife of 28 yrs. with the pieces that I build. I'm 55 yrs old and God willing have 20 to 25 yrs of productive life ahead of me. Any ideas on how to get started, how to make it profitable and stable without being independently wealthy or spending $100,000.00+ and 3-4 years of my life at the Rochester School of Design? Some of you may be doing what I'm dreaming about. I'd appreciate your comments and suggestions. Thanks,
Derek

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Derek,

Welcome to the group, hopefully others will be able to address all of your questions. I do not woodwork for a living but I have managed to pay for all of the equipment in my shop and then some through commissioned work. The best advice I can give is to specialize in a relatively tight niche and become very good in that area. Also, be willing to charge what you are worth. The biggest mistakes I made earlry on was undercharging for my work and being willing to take on anything.

WHat skill level are you at currently and how well equiped is your shop?

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Welcome Derek! You'll find a good range of skill levels here of which I'm at the bottom, despite what others may claim...
This is a great medium for exchanging ideas and I hope that you can get as much out of it as I have so far.
-Chris

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
First, welcome and thank you for being willing to post here.

I think you'll find that the dream of making a living at this, is one a lot of our members share. How to do it is beyond me. My dream is only to get to the point where someone will say "nice work" and really mean it.:lol:

But from my talking with several people, I know it is very difficult to actually do what you want. Even some of the most talented people can't seem to do it completely on their own. Once their work begins to be recognised, they still end up supplementing, by teaching classes, writing books, and/or working at WC, Klingspor, or Rockler, etc.

Ther are a few members on this site, who I believe, do in fact, make a liivng at this, but it is best that they introduce themselves

So, to sum up, welcome and good luck.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site Derek. I certainly hope you realize your dream. If I had to live on my woodworking, I'd starve. Either that or charge 50k for a nightstand..

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome, when you figure it out please let me know. I would love to give up my day job for something more creative. Dave:)

johncolvin13

New User
John Colvin
Hey Derek,

I have been building furniture with my grandfather since I was 12 years old. You never stop learning. My best advice would be; buy good quality tools, read everything you can get your hands on, don't worry about going to slow at first, and the worst thing is you have to market yourself.
There is a place in the world for every woodworker, you just have to find yours. Start small a grow as your skills allow. There are guys that make a living buliding birdhouses.
Another thing for all woodworkers is to hoard all the hardwoods you can. Wood gets more and more expensive every year, and it is only going to get worse. Find it anywhere, even your own backyard.

And of course you could always get the wife to work four jobs, while you toil in your shop. If that would only work we could all play all day.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Welcome Derek. I like your dream. Go for it. Me, I'd like to just be able to sell a peice once in a while. Hope we meet sometime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors