Demuline Table(s) : Part 1 the round part

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Here we go, another project series. This was originally gonna be 1 demuline table I was going to build out of some Lyptus I got a while back. The dimensions are custom for a spot in our guestroom. The project is roughly based on the article that Steve Latta did awhile back in Fine Woodworking "Federal Card Table" Mines not a card table, has just 3 legs, and is gonna be taller.

So here's the beginning. I took a piece of mdf cut a 48" X 48" square and layed out a circle that then allowed me to lay out the dimensions of my demuline top, apron, and leg placement. I then cut out (1) 1" piece that coresponds to the outside diameter of the table (this gives me a template for pattern routing the top.
demuline_post_1_010_Small_.jpg

View image in gallery

Then the exposed new semicircle corresponds to the diameter of the apron. So now we make the apron. Their are a bunch of different ways to make this, you could try and steam bend, laminate thin strips on a form, or use a staggered buildup. Latta does the staggered buildup and as I'd not done it before that's the route I chose. The concept is you cut alternating layers and glue them up one at a time. On layer will have 3 boards cut at the approxiamate angle to correspond to the curve and the next layer will have 4 boards. Heres the idea:

As you build them up you use the bottom mdf edge to pattern route the outside curve. When your done you've got a buildup that looks like this

Then you layout how thick you want the apron, and cut the back out to rough size on the bandsaw and then pattern route the back.

Now here's where 1 turned into 2 for me. The boards I used for my buildup were wider than I needed (1st time so I was cautious) So that when I was cutting the back curve out I realized the leftover wood was enough for a second apron with a smaller diameter. So I did the same pattern routing for it and got 2 table aprons for the price of 1:eusa_danc.

Next was to laminate the poplar core with shop made Lyptus Veneer. I experimented here as I had 2 tables now so the Lyptus was 1/8" thick self cut veneer that I used plastic resin glue to glue to the core, on the other table I had some paper backed sapele veneer left over from another project so I used that and glued it on with Wilsonart contact cement.

Here's the Lyptus veneer glue-up

Then I did the same process for the back U shaped curve. And here the final product:

So at the end of part 1 I've got (2) laminated aprons. Part 2 will detail cutting the leg joinery with a combination of the tablesaw and my new JDS multi-router.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Great writeup Michael, lots of stuff going on in these pictures - like the jig to route the semi-circle. I really like the approach to making the apron, I've never seen that before. And this project DEFINITELY lends credence to your signature line :) Even the smallest project seems to take a dozen clamps.

BTW, I think the correct term is "demi-lune table". "Demi" as in "Demi" Moore, an actress sort of like Roger Moore but not quite (she's about half his size), and "Lune", from the Greek act of mooning woodworkers out of tool envy. :rolf:

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
Excellent write-up, Michael. Great pictures of the process. Looking forward to the rest of this series!!:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Michael,

Thanks for taking the time show us the process. This is an ambitious project, and it looks like you're off to a great start.:thumbs_up:thumbs_up Looking forward to watching the progress.

Matt

bwat

New User
Bill
Great communication on an interesting project. I will be following your progress on this one. Thanks for sharing.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good project to watch come together. :icon_thum
I think if I took the time to document my projects they may go faster for me.:wwink:
How is that?:icon_scra
Well, if I slowed down enough to take an occasional photo, I wouldn't have so many 'do overs'. :gar-La;

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Um, isn't that where you were when we came over? :gar-Bi Can't wait to see them come together!

We'll Ed your right, it's just that it was apple moonshine that night and then for the next week, and then my brother came for New Years and it was Strawberry Moonshine all that weekend. Soooo....it's taken me this long to actually find my workshop, you know it's a long walk from my house to my workshop:gar-Bi

Seriously though, I'm actually going painfully slow on the inlay right now, but remember I am building 3 tales at once now. ( I know I said only 2 but I'm trying to finish up the table from my Hack class too before it's 1 year anniversary) I do enjoy the inlay though, it's quite fun to do while it's snowing outside!

The next post will be this weekend as I've already finished up the joinery stuff.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Just read part 2 so had to come back and read part 1 as well. Thanks for the great write up. I hope to be able to try some curvy stuff like this in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS