demonstration safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
This may be out of line, please forgive if so.

What would it look like if there was a forum member assigned as safety officer at forum events. Someone to provide an independent look for member and public welfare.

Last edited:

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for the important safety reminder. A safety officer is a policy we used to use. My guess is it has not been used recently due to the lack of "extra" volunteers at the events ... but safety should never be pushed aside. Thanks again

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Coming from industry I'm used to having extra eyes and safety meetings before events. We even had safety updates/announcements at every meeting. Such is the life of a former nuke.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
During our Outreach training events we stressed safety very heavily. Unfortunately, with the lack of volunteers we've been facing recently the training sessions have mostly become OJT. We did also have a designated safety officer at the first Outreach events as Phil mentioned. That has been replaced by everyone being aware and interrupting when they see a potential situation such as missing safety glasses.

It is still important and still treated that way. But we can't have too many reminders.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Safety, whAAt?

Just joking, I was apprenticed way back by my father when he was still alive. He beat me up so badly about safety, that in the 50 years of my woodworking I have never had an accident. Never had a table saw kick-back, as my table-saw setup and use makes it impossible. Some machines such as my shaper, with a big cutter still scares the bejeebers out of me, however I take all the possible precautions and respect the equipment.

I believe the first priority of any trainer, should be safety and would never the less welcome anyone who wishes to participate as a safety officer.

In my training sessions, although the first amount of time is always allotted to safety, in my own shop I still require students to sign a liability waiver. One never knows if an individual is simply not honest and looking for an opportunity, or just accident prone no matter how well taught.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
As mentioned, I am usually the annoying person saying things like, you need to move the tool rest, don't do it like that etc. I do need to get bettter about safety glasses. At the last event I sat in the grass with a pair of preschoolers on my lap so their mom could turn a light saber without worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS