delta unisaw dust collection

Rjgooden

Big Ron
User
I purchased an older delta model 34-802f anyone have any suggestions on dust collection modifications?

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I don't have the same saw as yours. Mine is a Delta contractor saw with a design that never had any thought for dust collection. I built a custom base and have the DC pipe running up from the floor into the bottom. Gravity and suction take care of most of the dust that goes underneath.

One of the biggest challenges I found was all the open space between the saw top and the frame. To prevent dust escaping here (and at other openings) I used a can of spray foam insulation. This expands and does an excellent job of sealing. Next up was to make zero-clearance inserts to force the dust to stay below as much as possible.

Even with all this there is still dust from the saw -- just a LOT less. I'm satisfied with what I have for now. If I were to go further the next action would be to make some sort of overhead cover with suction.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Unisaws are not known for their dust collection capabilities and a lot of creative solutions have been developed over the years. Here’s a recent thread on OWWM:

If you don’t have the motor cover the options in that thread seem to be good. With a motor cover I’d be tempted to hook a hose up to the bottom and create a pan to help direct dust to it (not my idea, but I can’t remember where I’ve seen it).

I haven’t hooked up dust collection for either of my Unisaws yet, but plan to experiment with both the pan option and the blade surround.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I took off the table and built in the inside of the cabinet a sloped base, sealed with sika 1A . The rounded edged inside is the same radius as the table insert radius, so just use the insert as a template for the rounded corners. Then cut an outlet to hook up the 4" port. The front access I made a door with a magnetic lock to close. It works about 60% effective, not perfect but decent.

Michael D Edwards

New User
Michael
For the adjustment slots, use magnetic signs. I use the Wake County waste collection schedule (free). I really like the spray foam idea. I used pipe rap foam stuffed in the cracks. The zero clearance inserts make a huge difference. Just make a bunch to accommodate different saw kerfs.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
DC on a table saw has it issues. We go right to collecting under the table b/c its easy but its pretty much useless.

What's flinging off the blade all over your shirt and your shop is what's important. IMO under cabinet dust collection is both unnecessary and not a health hazard. All you really need is a collection box and periodical clean out.

If you seal it up, you could block enough air flow to impact the CFM's. Keep that in mind

I would spend my time either making or researching over arm collection. That said, I probably use mine 10% of the time, mainly when cutting MDF or plywood. There are so many times you can't use it, like with a sled, certain jigs, cuts narrower than 2", can't use a push block, etc.

newshopcharlie

charlie
User
I purchased an older delta model 34-802f anyone have any suggestions on dust collection modifications?
Hey Rjg, I have the exact same saw. I just odered a motor cover because it did not come with one. Bought the saw in the mid 80's. I was wondering how you were coming with your dust collection challenge. I think that I'll remove the vented access door and remake it out of plywood with a 4" hole. I also need to add a floor, which I think I will elevate and slope toward the exhaust. Do you have any other thoughts or better ideas? Also, I have a 2" hole in the cabinet , for what I have no idea. Best of luck to you and happy woodworking !

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS