delta shaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

kclark

New User
Kevin
I am going tonight to look at an older Delta Shaper. The said he bought it new 20 years ago. Made 2 cabinet doors on it and that's it. He remembered it was a Delta on a stand possibly 3 HP. When I go, what should I be looking for?

Any help would be great.

kclark

New User
Kevin
I just got a call from the seller.
He said it was actually a Rockwell shaper
Rockwell Wood Shaper, 16"x18" Table, Single Phase, Model #62-003, S/N 34-1510-1806

Sully

New User
jay
That's the model number of the motor, not the shaper. The motor being a 1 HP model. The shaper is actually likely to be a model 43-112, which is classified as "light duty" shaper. Not that there's anything wrong with that. They were nice setups.

That serial number seems very odd, again it's probably for the motor.

Anyway, check to make sure the spindle turns smoothly. Look for a reversing switch. Does the spindle have a nut and lock washer. Does the spindle travel up and down smoothly. Check for damaged threads on the spindle.

kclark

New User
Kevin
no I didn't

didn't get a chance to get there.

I am worried that it is only 3000 rpm and 1 hp motor

Sully

New User
jay
There are plenty of full size stationary model shapers that are also only 1 HP. Regarding the spindle speed, I would be surprised if it's only 3000 RPM. The motor may very well be 3000 RPM (or thereabouts), but is surely stepped up by a large pulley motor to a small spindle pulley.

For reference, the motor on my heavy duty shaper is only 1 HP and is 3400 RPM. The spindle speed however is in the neighborhood of 9000-10,000 RPM.

I was just curious more than anything to see pictures of the shaper.

J - a fan of owwm

Sully

New User
jay
It's hard to place a value without more information (condition, any cutters included, etc.). And I'm certainly no expert, but I will say it sounds high to me. For that kind of money you are not far off from a full-sized heavy duty shaper. Personally I wouldn't spend more than $100 bucks unless there was a slew of high dollar cutters that came with it. But that's just me.

But at the end of the day, worth is established by a willing buyer and a willing seller.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
sully: I suggest you price new shapers. :gar-Bi a new small 1.5 hp Jet is close to 900. My 2hp Jet is 10 yrs old and I paid a grand for it new. Even Grizz is around that 8 to 9 hundred for small ones.
Also my shaper is 8000 and 10000 rpm, as you said they are way above motor rpm by pulleys.

Sully

New User
jay
What is this word "new" of which you speak? :gar-La; It's not in my vocabulary. :rotflm:

sully: I suggest you price new shapers. :gar-Bi

On the used market I have seen a slew of full size shapers in the 300-500 price range. Not too long ago there was a nearly new shop fox shaper on the Myrtle Beach craigslist for $500 IIRC, with a mobile base and some rail/stile cutters.

$0.02

DaveD

New User
Dave
I had one of those shapers and I recall that I sold it for 200$ motor and table/fence together. No cutters. The spindle should go about 9000RPM because they came with a typical small diameter pulley on the spindle and a pulley about 6" diameter on the 3450 RPM motor.

The spindle on that shaper is 1/2" and raises/lowers 1". You do the rest of the adjustment with spacers.

If it comes with the original fence that has the cast iron base piece, that is actually a nice fence.
All in all a nice little beginner shaper for the occasional job.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Sully: OMG I said GNU? :rotflm::rotflm:
There was a time when that was all I bought as far as tools; that was when I was fulltime trimmer,cabinetshop guy. the UPSIDE tho is that I still have those tools :gar-Bi:gar-Bi

KC; Shapers are real nice BUT do not think they can replace a router table. Even tho they look just like one but more robust. Shapers are designed for heavy duty cutting hence the lower rpm, router bits are designed to run at high rpms to cut efficiently. YES you can use them in a shaper, I do and so do lots of others All I am saying dont expect router table performance from a shaper. That said I usually buy Grizzly cutters, they are very reasonable,, with this caveat for short runs and the ocassional use they are fine. they are NOT great quality and for real production u do get what u pay for. :gar-Bi:gar-Bi:gar-Bi:gar-Bi

Also if this is for light and ocassional use 1/2 spindle is eh ok, however look for 3/4 spindle unless u have already bought this one.
3/4 is a standard cutter, 1/2 uses a bushing to reduce, down and 3/4" spindle shaper will have more power and actually works better

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS