Delta Planer

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Older Delta 12 inch 22-540.
Two sets of new knives, two sets used.
Modified with stop collars for last cut eliminates head tilt and snipe.
DIY 4 inch chip port for DC.

Works fine. $90. Yes, I am buying a 735 and Shelix head. Going to list on on Craig's list for a little more but always want to give the forum a friendly offer first.

Attachments

• 20210316_090924.jpg
    20210316_090924.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 198
  • 20210316_091007.jpg
    20210316_091007.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 185

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
Have you see the new Laguna planer at $599 with a similar type head

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
All the traditional lunchbox planers kick up the head as the wood passes the first feed roller on exit, So, I bought 4 stop collars that slip over the posts. When I set the height for the last skim cut, I just snug them to the posts and the head can't kick up. I forget the size. I had to file them just a bit to fit the I assume metric posts.

Some newer planers have a lock bail of various sorts that does the same job.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I did say "traditional lunchbox"
FWIW, I am, picking up a 735 tomorrow and will be ordering a Byrd head.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
All the traditional lunchbox planers kick up the head as the wood passes the first feed roller on exit, So, I bought 4 stop collars that slip over the posts. When I set the height for the last skim cut, I just snug them to the posts and the head can't kick up. I forget the size. I had to file them just a bit to fit the I assume metric posts.

Some newer planers have a lock bail of various sorts that does the same job.
Posts are 20 MM. Ordered a set of four collars for mine after seeing your post from 2013 over at Lumberjocks. Have Rockwell 13" wedge bed, Delta DC-380, but my 22-540 is my most used planer. Actually own three of them. One bought new 1995 - $400, one bought used $75, and a parts machine for $20.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Will do. Of course, to start it will have the OEM blades. I want to at least get my Shelix for my jointer before I order one for the planer. Long backorder as seems they are more than popular! They said 5 to 7 weeks. Should be getting close on my Clearview. Guess I can't complain about local US companies having such good success, making good products for fair prices. As a former manufacturing quality engineer, it does my heart good.

Looks like every machine is being replaced or upgraded. Quite a few hand tools as I upgraded my measurement and marking, changed to only screw drivers with bits, found higher quality for almost everything from split-point drill bits to sandpaper. Even got my handsaws sharpened. Swapped most of my corded tools for battery.

At least I got back to a real project yesterday, the curved veneer dashboard pieces for my Stag. Have a problem to figure out, the veneer is not bonded around one edge of course, the main piece where the grain is matched to the next pieces so re-do means re-do all. I guess I have to inject some glue and clamp. I used powered resin so I guess I can make some thin enough to get in. Thought about CA, but concerned it might blot through the veneer.

cobraguy

Clay
Corporate Member
Thanks for the suggestion Scott. I have the 22-540 as well. Snipe is certainly a problem with it. I'll give the stop collars a try.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors