Delta Planer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philip

New User
Philip
I purchase a used Delta planer (22-540) that worked fairly well for several years. Last week apparently the brushes failed :crybaby2: ; I replaced the brushes but these burned up on one pine board (double :crybaby2: ). I guess something else is also a problem. I am torn between purhasing a new motor or a new planer. Has anyone any advice or recommendations about a new planer. Of course cost is a consideration but not the main thing. Any advice would be helplful.

Thanks
Philip

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That sucks. Probably you would be better off with a new planner than going through the work to replace the motor (unless you like doing things like that) I wasn't familar with the model so I checked it out on Amazon, and reviews there lead me to believe that you might do better replacing it with the comperable DeWalt planer. I have the 12.5" Delta planner with the head lock and I have been very happy with it. It has left me wanting more when running large or long stock through it, but the price was good and 80% of the time it does all that I need. My .02, Dave:)

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
When you replace burned brushes you also need to have the armature turned any machine shop can do this, as long as its not worn down too far.
I have had it done many times where i used to work.
Its cheaper then a new motor.

Philip

New User
Philip
Thanks for the advice. We also might rig this thing. However if I decide to junk it Wayne Co. is much closer than Stokes Co.:eyeslam:

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
Taking the motor aprat having the armature turned and replacing the bearings at the same time is not that big of a deal.
and not very expensive at all.:icon_thum
you should think about it

M

McRabbet

You've discovered one of the shortcomings of the entire family of portable planers -- they have universal motors versus induction motors. They are not designed for continuous duty and the start-stop and loading they take is tough on them. As suggested, however, they can be repaired.

Rob

Mountaincraft

New User
William
I have the same planer, and the way to keep from having to turn the armature is to replace the brushes before they fail. The basic coil and field in this motor is one that has been used for many Delta products. There is a flaw in the windings of a few armatures. The ends are pinned instead of being soldered to the contacts. An unusual electrical stress (such as a failed brush) can cause the wire to burn out of the contact, requiring rewinding. When this has happened, it will eat brushes fast, emitting a nuclear looking blue light around the brushes and chunking carbon dust. Oddly enough, the newer (cheaper) motors apparently don't have this problem.

Having taken both motors apart, the older one is built like a tank for a universal motor. The newer one has half the shaft diameter, and smaller bearings mounted into plastic casings. It looks suspiciously weak for something like a planer.

For about $100, you can get the armature rewound and new bearings, provided you do the motor disassembly/assembly yourself. If your budget is limited, this is the way to go. A properly rewound armature will last forever, limited only by the contacts wearing thin. Keep a spare set of brushes around, and when they only have about 1/4" of carbon left, replace them.

If you have cash to burn, get the Dewalt 13", 3 blade, 2 speed. They rule.

Philip

New User
Philip
Thank you all the responses. There is a lot to know about electric motors and tools. I really appreciate the education or at least scratching the surface.:roll:

Looks like I should have the motor rewound and replace bearings. Maybe thne this tool will be good as new.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
For what it's worth, a good friend of a good friend owns a motor shop in Fayetteville. It's called Electrotek. I'm told that alot of businesses in the Raleigh area send motors to them - best quality/best prices. It may be totally out of your way, but I thought that I'd throw them a pitch...
(BTW, I stand to gain nothing by endorsing them)

Phil

New User
Phil Capper
Hi Philip
Hope the sander is still working ok. I have had a dewalt 2 knife planer for about 6 years and used is mercilessly on all types of wood in a production capacity. The only problems i've had with it is the roller drive chain and sprockets wear a little. I've been waiting for it to break so I can purchase the newer 3 knife Dewalt which I have used and is great.

Good luck
Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS