Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
HOLY crap! that looks like a steal?!

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Yea, I paid about twice that. Then discovered the rear sheave was defective. Then figured out the chuck was crap. Well, running now.
I really wish I had bought one with a longer quill stroke though. Got a little hall effect digital display for RPM. Coming up on my list to install it.
12 speed, but I find I really only use 3 or 4. Also found out 1/2 horse is not quite there to spin 4 inch circle cutters. The new gear driven DVR Powermatic, now THAT is a drill, for only a little over 10 times the cost! I love tools, but 2 grand for a drill press is out of the question!

Hmmm. I should go put my new keyless chuck on the for sale. I like my key one better. Guess it is a matter of what you are used to.

Belts were slightly odd size as they were the Chinese interpretation of the metric standard and not quite right. I have what belts work though.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Went and picked it up this afternoon. It's in great shape. Guy selling it runs a decent sized furniture shop and upgraded to larger beefier 3 phase one and it looks like he just wanted it gone fast with minimum hassle, and I was happy to oblige. Even had a few workers help load it in my van.

Now to figure out how to get it out.... :D

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Now wish I could have seen that in time. Glad to see someone here snagged a good deal.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Went and picked it up this afternoon. It's in great shape. Guy selling it runs a decent sized furniture shop and upgraded to larger beefier 3 phase one and it looks like he just wanted it gone fast with minimum hassle, and I was happy to oblige. Even had a few workers help load it in my van.

Now to figure out how to get it out.... :D
Jut pull on the head, it will fall out! :p :p :p
Seriously glad you got it!

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I saw your post Chris, and was very tempted.

There are only two issues:
1) The rack for table looks like it was broken ages ago and repaired. Not a big deal, but it makes it so that the table can't be lowered as far as it could, but far enough it won't bother me. I noticed this in the pictures before going, so it was expected.
2) It appears the depth stop doesn't function. Will have to investigate more to see if I can fix it or not.

Otherwise, it's a solid machine. Was able to get it out of the van and into the shop. This is definitely an upgrade over my benchtop Skil drill press.

Now to rearrange to make space... and clean.... both of which long overdue....

IMG_4172.jpeg

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
FWIW , the rack was fine...and my depth stop was fine too.. but its all good! enjoy your new machine! its a great drill press for sure!

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I saw your post Chris, and was very tempted.

There are only two issues:
1) The rack for table looks like it was broken ages ago and repaired. Not a big deal, but it makes it so that the table can't be lowered as far as it could, but far enough it won't bother me. I noticed this in the pictures before going, so it was expected.
2) It appears the depth stop doesn't function. Will have to investigate more to see if I can fix it or not.

Otherwise, it's a solid machine. Was able to get it out of the van and into the shop. This is definitely an upgrade over my benchtop Skil drill press.

Now to rearrange to make space... and clean.... both of which long overdue....

View attachment 199488
James, are you saying these are issues with the machine you bought?
if yes, here is a potential solution to you depth stop;
Not sure if that version will work for your Delta, but it worked great for my Jet mill/drill.
Mr Pete has a great YT video on altering it to suit your machine:

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
This model has a different type of depth stop, unfortunately. My old Skill press has the same type of stop.

View attachment 199491
Oh!I didn't even look, I was thinking all the larger presses had a threaded quill depth stop...
I would do something different - I had a benchtop press that had that depth stop and I was never satis fied that it repeated.
There is a spring in there and the ring is supposed to stop with the cheesy "grub" screw with the sheet metal flipper attached to it.
Maybe you can get it to work, but I think it will end-up being a waste of your time... JMHO

You can build a yoke on the non-spinning portion of the quill and an indicator on the body of the head.
I would use a large threaded rod and incorporate a quill stop.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ah I see, like this? Drill Press Depth Stop

I will keep that in mind if I can't fix it, or if it proves to be unreliable. The one on my benchtop never gave me repeatability issues, but it was annoying to set.
YUP!
and keep in mind the cheap Shars quill stop, screwing nuts up the thread sucks...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS