Delta DJ-20 jointer, 8" - $600 (Charlotte) GONE

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Not mine, etc.

Delta DJ-20 jointer, 8" - $600 (Charlotte)

1632404298655.png

It's 3-phase if you're set up for it.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
What would be the easiest way to convert it? Or would a phase converter be cheaper?
Get a 1.5 HP single phase 56 frame TEFC 3450 rpm motor and toss the valueless 3-phase motor. The very expensive LVC starter will need a couple of (likely) GE heaters for the new amp draw. The transformer taps are likely to be on the 240 volt setting so no modifications there. Wire in the motor ignoring one of the three lines (usually the red). Leave the existing unused heater as is. For a single phase transfer, that jointer is relatively easy. I've got photos so if you get the machine, I can help with some of the fussy details.
For a jointer like that, forget VFDs and rotary phase converters if you have a single phase shop. Not worth the trouble and expense.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
That jointer, a 37-350C package in 1998 listed for 37-350C $2436.00. Adjusted for today's inflation, that list price would be $4,123.82. Looking for cheap isn't in your best long term interests.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I should've bought a lottery ticket this weekend.

I sent my woodworking buddy the link to the jointer above on Friday and his reply was "I'll sell you mine for cheaper".

Turns out he had a DJ-20 with a single phase 220v motor that he never used and could never get dialed in.

So I went by Saturday afternoon and picked her up! Still haven't plugged her in and fired her up though.

As I was about to pull off he said "mess around with it, see if you can get it working right then we'll figure out what you think it's worth".

Maybe it's not too late for that ticket?

Attachments

• 20210925_172505.jpg
    20210925_172505.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 115

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Nice score, for sure.
Sharp knives set parallel to the outfeed table is about all that's really important if you're already familiar with successfully using a jointer.

On that model, there's a chronic little problem. The switch is way too weak for the volume of current it controls. The contacts burn out faster than a NEMA rated mag starter's contacts. Its an annoyance rather than a deal breaker.

The actual switch is a Furnas 12BA that often can be found on eBay for cheap. It would be good to have one in reserve when the time comes.

1     12BA - 1.jpg
These two switches look different but the guts are pretty much the same.

1     12BA - 2.jpg
The switch on the left uses the switch's original controls where the Delta uses an overlay.

1     12BA - 3.jpg
The left switch had three contact controls for three phase. The one on the right only has two and is for single phase. If a three phase switch can be found cheaper, use it only hook up two wires instead of three.

1     12BA - 4.jpg
Full disclosure of that the contact points actually look like and the different ratings from the different rating criteria.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS