Delta Contractor Saw Fence Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

allisnut

New User
Adam
I have an older Delta Contractors Table Saw with the 'old style' fence with round rails on the front and back of the saw. What can be done to improve the fence, without buying a better system? I'm going to try to clean and lubricate the fence tonight, but it has been hard to slide back and forth ever since I got it.

Is a sliding table attachment on this type of saw useful? I found one used for a decent price, but I'm not sure it would really be much benefit after thinking it through. It looks like it is more for cross cutting. I have a miter saw and a radial arm saw, so cross cutting on the table saw seems unnecessary. My near future plans include building some cabinets, so I may be better off building a better outfeed table instead of investing in the sliding table.

Any advice or thoughts are welcomed, since my thoughts seem rather scattered this afternoon.

Thanks,

Adam

allisnut

New User
Adam
OK, so I was a little less brain dead when I got home. I hit the rails with a little Seafoam Deep Creep, and the fence slides back and forth evenly other then the sacrifical board I have attached to the metal fence dragging in a couple of spots.

So, back to the real question, it the sliding table accessory for a table saw useful or not? It is a Delta 34-555 sliding table for contractor and unisaws. I'd have to remove the left side extension table. I have 70" fence rails on the saw. I'm wondering if I would be better off building a decent sized formica topped outfeed / right side extension table. It would double as a large, flat assembly table, which would be good if I do try to build cabinets.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Look up building a cross cut sled. There are many plans out there. Because the sliding table is located some distance from the blade, you won't exactly get results that you would from a true slider. If you go to Woodworking Show, check out Jerry Cole's Dubby in action. He will be in the Peachtree booth. Google "benchmark.20m.com" for some help on Delta sliding table.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
IMO, you would get a lot more use out of a better fence than a slider table, depending on what kind of work you'll be doing. Like Bruce said, a good cross-cut sled is a great investment. I use mine all the time...and IMO it is better than a sliding table, since it supports the work right up to each side of the blade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS