Delta 50-850 dust collector

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I want to change the top bag on my dust collector to a canister type. I know the difference between a HEPA type filter and a true HEPA filter. One of the biggest differences is price. Unfortunately a lot of companies are selling HEPA type filters as true HEPA filters at the much higher price. The really big difference is a true HEPA filter will protect your health, maybe even save your life, in certain hazardous conditions.

Would like to know if anyone can recommend a reasonably priced canister filter they are happy with. I know, what is reasonable is not the same for each person. For me a price over $150 is not reasonable.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
I am happy with my MERV 10 cartridge from Wynn Environmental. At $165, it is close to your target price. It's nowhere near the filtration efficiency of a HEPA filter, though. To have the filtration efficiency of a HEPA filter, while handling the airflow of a dust collector, you would need to spend multiple thousands of dollars, and the filter would take up half your shop. But it will be 100x better than the bag on top of your DC. Though I have no complaints about the performance, it is missing some smaller <2.5 um particles that I can't see or feel, and I do kind of wish I had sprung for their pricier MERV 15 filter, at $235. Are my lungs worth $70 extra? I think so.

35A274BLOL Cartridge Kit • Wynn Environmental

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
how do you clean the Wynn filter

I am happy with my MERV 10 cartridge from Wynn Environmental. At $165, it is close to your target price. It's nowhere near the filtration efficiency of a HEPA filter, though. To have the filtration efficiency of a HEPA filter, while handling the airflow of a dust collector, you would need to spend multiple thousands of dollars, and the filter would take up half your shop. But it will be 100x better than the bag on top of your DC. Though I have no complaints about the performance, it is missing some smaller <2.5 um particles that I can't see or feel, and I do kind of wish I had sprung for their pricier MERV 15 filter, at $235. Are my lungs worth $70 extra? I think so.

35A274BLOL Cartridge Kit • Wynn Environmental

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I moved mine out to a shed In back of the shop and piped to it. Dust leaves the shop and it's a lot quieter. The compressor got kicked out to the Same place. No need for ear plugs or expensive filters.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member

Compressed air is the right way. But I've also just turned it over and knocked it on its lid a few times to get back working fast.

I've read that those paddles you see in some filters will wear pinholes in the filter rather quickly. Read that in a few places, but it could just be the woodworking internet echo chamber.

I do so wish I could do what Fred did. But my shop is in my basement on the wall that faces my driveway, so I'd have to put an outbuilding in the middle of my driveway to make it work. My 2HP Grizzly can't really handle anything more than short duct runs anyway.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I had a Wynn filter on my HF unit. After a few week's of light use, I would simply tap the top with a narrow cutoff and dust would off into the collection bag. Once a year or so, I would remove the filter and vacuum the pleats (inside and out) and reinstall. Worked for me.

Wayne

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
I have a Wynn as well and blow compressed air every time I empty out the bag. Works well and a major improvement over the original top bag.

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
I have one of the Wynn cannister filters like the ones linked above. Mine is several years old. Works well. Noticeable improvement in air quality. I did have to make a plywood adapter to fit it to my Jet dust collector. I blow compressed air through occasionally and remove maybe once a year for vacuuming.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I moved mine out to a shed In back of the shop and piped to it. Dust leaves the shop and it's a lot quieter. The compressor got kicked out to the Same place. No need for ear plugs or expensive filters.
wish i had that option

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Not sure if ya'll know this or not, but the filter medium comes in a roll and there are local HVAC filter suppliers who make to size filters. You can get them with the mesh on the outside or not,. get them merv 4-13, with or without charcoal, etc. If you have the top and bottom, they can remove the old filter (or you can) re-wrap filter. It is pretty easy actually to do this. If so inclined you can make the top and bottom. Anyway, I have made a lot of custom filters for HVAC systems. It is not hard, and it is much cheaper.

One concern is the filter for the top needs its resistance is low enough the the air pull does not cavitate inside the filter, resulting is the filter only really pulling air through the bottom 1/3-1/2 of the filter. There is a kinda weighty formula for this, but the basic rule of thumb is 1sq ft of filter per 100 cfm. Just in case some of you are covid crazy and want to do this :oops: :D

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
One other option I considered... Filterprofessor.com sells a filter that they claim to be a drop in replacement for a Wynn filter. It's half the price. But then you need to buy/make the lid, gasket and clamp straps, and I didn't have the time to do that so I went with Wynn.

here is a kinda weighty formula for this, but the basic rule of thumb is 1sq ft of filter per 100 cfm.

Do you mean 1 sq ft. of filter after pleating it? Because my canister has like 200 sq ft of filter material and I certainly don't have a 20000 CFM blower.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
No opening diameter, if the unit is round then e.g: top of dust collector is 14" in diameter 14 x pi (3.14159) = 43.98 circumference, round up to nearest 5 or 45
45*height converted to ft (45 ÷ 12 = 3.75) If the unit is 800 cfm then assume you need 8 sq ft of face opening. 3.75 per face opening per one vertical ft, 8÷3.75 =2.134 ft or roughly 26 inches.
This is just a basic way to do it. To do it accurately you need to consider a lot of other variables, but for the dust collector it is not really necessary.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I want to change the top bag on my dust collector to a canister type. I know the difference between a HEPA type filter and a true HEPA filter. One of the biggest differences is price. Unfortunately a lot of companies are selling HEPA type filters as true HEPA filters at the much higher price. The really big difference is a true HEPA filter will protect your health, maybe even save your life, in certain hazardous conditions.

Would like to know if anyone can recommend a reasonably priced canister filter they are happy with. I know, what is reasonable is not the same for each person. For me a price over $150 is not reasonable.
To extend life of your filter, put a Phil Thien Baffle in the ring of of your dust collector. Visit his web site for pictures of other installs, plus you tube.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS