Delta 36-979 tablesaw...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
So I almost pulled the trigger on the Ridgid TS3650 for the $466 at the Borg today but couldn't stand the thought of my beloved Unifence gathering sawdust so I hopped on an Amazon deal for a 36-979 for $390 with free shipping. Saved me over $100 after the tax on the Ridgid and I get to keep the Unifence. Anybody else with this saw that can give me a review? Thanks!

4112u6dxHqL._AA280_.jpg

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Re: Craftsman contractor saw by Emerson

so, I guess my other question has been answered. Sweet Deal!

sapwood

New User
Roger

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Congrats on the saw Peter.

YOU SUCK!

FWIW, I'm a big fan of the Unifence too. I upgraded to one last year and love it.

Roger

pslamp32

New User
Peter

I know what you mean Roger. I added a uni-T-fence to it so that I could mount jigs,board buddies etc. I can't imagine using another fence. I love how you can move the fence fore and aft to get maximum use out of it.

Anyways the purchase is not gloat worthy til it arrives and is setup. Pictures will be forthcoming. Also, not quite sure why one of the mods changed the title of this thread. I will be selling my Craftsman after I get the Delta up and running but the purpose of this thread was actually to get feedback from others who may have experience with the Delta saw. :dontknow: Oh well...

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Peter, here's a pre-suck congrats on the deal. I love a good Amazon find!

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Now I just need a 14" BS for some resawing so I can keep my 12" set for curves and I think I'm good for a little while. Well at least until it's time to start upgrading again. Let's see....contractor to contractor saw, 14" to 18" BS, 6" to 8" jointer, lunchbox to 20+"....:gar-Bi . It never ends does it.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
That sounds like a pretty darn good deal. I looked at the reviws on Amazon and the only unfavorable reviews were folks complaining because Amazon made a pricing error and cancelled the orders. Everyone else seemed to like the saw.

Couple that up with your awesome fence and - yep - you got a good thing going there!! :icon_thum

(Suckage withheld pending photographic proof of possession).

Chuck

pslamp32

New User
Peter
I think somebody has a 14" Rockwell saw on here.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/ppclass/showproduct.php?product=294

$225 is not a bad price for old iron.

I thought about that one but it only has a 1/3 hp motor. Seems kinda light for resawing.

While I'm on that thought, does anyone know if it's easy to buy a replacement motor to upgrade a contractor saw 1.5 hp to like a 3 hp? I don't know how much motors are but it seems like an easy upgrade to do. Could you then use the 1.5 hp motor and install it in your bandsaw for instance to upgrade that? Maybe I should start a new thread. Hmmm. :embarrassed:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I think it depends on the motor mounting style and if the capacitors will get in the way to be able to do what you are talking about. IIRC, most contractor style saws motors mount similar to bandsaws so I would think it is possible.

Congrats on the acquisition! That is a sweet deal especially with the solid wings!

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I thought about that one but it only has a 1/3 hp motor. Seems kinda light for resawing.

While I'm on that thought, does anyone know if it's easy to buy a replacement motor to upgrade a contractor saw 1.5 hp to like a 3 hp? I don't know how much motors are but it seems like an easy upgrade to do. Could you then use the 1.5 hp motor and install it in your bandsaw for instance to upgrade that? Maybe I should start a new thread. Hmmm. :embarrassed:

I think you will find the 1.5 hp motor on your new saw quite satisfactory, especially when equipped with a sharp blade. Not to sure about the ability of a contractor style saw to handle 3 hp over the long haul, but you could probably move up to an appropriately styled 2 hp motor without any long term problems... and FWIW, If I remember the saw correctly, one of the Delta machines is actually rated at 2 hp when set up for 220???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors