Delta 33-890 RAS: What does this particular part do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdwrkr

New User
wdwrkr
Hi all,

I am new to the site as of this morning. I was referred here by a friend who raves about what a great community of folks this is.

I am restoring a Delta 33-890 RAS and am trying to determine what is missing - if anything. In particular, I am wondering about part 424-02-004-0015 LEVER. Does anyone know what it does?
The bar is pinned at its bottom to permit rotation, and captivated at its top by a cutout in the handle - so the bar cannot move. So why is it pinned? And if it cannot move, why is it there?
This comes from page 3 of the attached PDF - see item 139 on the exploded assembly drawing.

View attachment 33-890 RAS Diagram.pdf

Also, does anyone have access to used parts - maybe a saw that is being parted out or otherwise unusable?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sorry I do not know what that part does, but I do want to welcome you to the site and good luck with the rebuild.k

Skymaster

New User
Jack
looks like is is a release pin so you can rotate the motor for angle cuts and/or vertically for drilling

FlyingRon

Ron
My guess is it's to reinforce the plastic handle which is the thing that's getting pulled against during normal operation of the saw. The pin keeps just appears to give it some rotational reinforcement? There is some twisting going on when you are setting a bevel with that handle.

llucas

luke
Senior User
not sure, but it looks like a moveable lever which raises the blade guard to clear the fence when you pull the saw forward to make a cut.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Hi all,

The bar is pinned at its bottom to permit rotation, and captivated at its top by a cutout in the handle - so the bar cannot move.

As I see it in the parts drawing (and trying to dredge up old memories) the top of your part should not be frozen. It should pivot on the pin so as to push a pin that releases the motor to rotate.

George

sawduster2

New User
Don
I have the 2 of the same models at home. I'll check it when I get home tonight as I don't recall seeing such a lever on mine...

Don

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
My belief is that part number 139 does nothing useful. It exists to fill in/fill up spaces that remained from other components that are no longer part of this version of the saw.

Part 139 currently occupies the space that used to be filled by a mechanical squeeze-type on/off motor-switch. The square cut out in the handle used to hold a thumb-controlled mechanical interlock for the squeeze-switch.

when Delta added the on/off toggle switch on the front of the saw, the squeeze switch assembly became irrelevant, but Delta never changed the casting of the carriage handle....

-Mark

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Hi all,

I am new to the site as of this morning. I was referred here by a friend who raves about what a great community of folks this is.

I am restoring a Delta 33-890 RAS and am trying to determine what is missing - if anything. In particular, I am wondering about part 424-02-004-0015 LEVER. Does anyone know what it does?
The bar is pinned at its bottom to permit rotation, and captivated at its top by a cutout in the handle - so the bar cannot move. So why is it pinned? And if it cannot move, why is it there?
This comes from page 3 of the attached PDF - see item 139 on the exploded assembly drawing.

View attachment 7042

Also, does anyone have access to used parts - maybe a saw that is being parted out or otherwise unusable?
I believe its a release lever so you can rotate the head to 45 and 90 degrees. Rarely, if EVER do companies add anything to a machine that serves no purpose.

wdwrkr

New User
wdwrkr
Thanks to everyone for their insight and opinion. I concur with mkepke, though. The lever actually does nothing at all. It affects nothing at all. It appears to be nothing more than a space filler. I worked on the saw for several hours today, taking EVERYTHING apart. The lever is completely nonfunctional, besides perhaps giving your hand something to bear against as opposed to the edges of the cast metal handle. My conclusion on this is that I can continue with the restoration of the saw and not worry about part 139.
Again, many thanks to all for rendering opinions!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm with Jack & Chris. Per the diagram, the blade angle pivot is held in place by the sub assembly 131, 131A or 190 depending on the serial #. The release for the blade angle positive stop appears to be a plunger attached to the lever and pushing the 140 plunger into the 138 plate holes at the 0/45/90 degree detents. All other angles are set and locked into place by the 131, 131A or 190 assemblies depending on model serial#. If a RAS is not used much for angle blade cuts the plunger there could be seized up. As the diagram says this assembly is hone fitted, it should probably be tight from lack of use. Try a little penetrating oil overnight.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
wdwkr - let's see how good my memory is. At the base of the carriage-handle casting, there is a circular depression. In the middle of the circular depression, there is a hole (looks like a bulls eye). In the bottom of the hole there is..nothing functional ? Yes/no ?

-Mark

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Is the blade tilt release then actuated by the special nut & knob items 141 & 142? Inquiring minds want to know. :wsmile:

wdwrkr

New User
wdwrkr
wdwkr - let's see how good my memory is. At the base of the carriage-handle casting, there is a circular depression. In the middle of the circular depression, there is a hole (looks like a bulls eye). In the bottom of the hole there is..nothing functional ? Yes/no ?

-Mark

Mark, you are correct and your memory is spot on. I like Gotcha6's analysis based on the diagram. Unfortunately, the lever is not connected to anything. Gothca6, yes, the the blade angle positive stop releases by the pull of the knob (142) and it works perfectly. Wish I could say the same for the one at the top of the carriage (106). The aluminum casting is broken and I'm looking at $150 to replace it. Actually thought I would try to fusion weld it first - though I am concerned the heat may distort the shape of the casting and cause a problem with the plunger. Oh well. But, I am having a blast working on it. I also have a 1959 DeWalt 8" RAS. It works perfectly. I have to say though, I believe the Delta design is better - much easier to affect a good setup.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Mark, you are correct and your memory is spot on. I like Gotcha6's analysis based on the diagram. Unfortunately, the lever is not connected to anything. Gothca6, yes, the the blade angle positive stop releases by the pull of the knob (142) and it works perfectly. Wish I could say the same for the one at the top of the carriage (106). The aluminum casting is broken and I'm looking at $150 to replace it. Actually thought I would try to fusion weld it first - though I am concerned the heat may distort the shape of the casting and cause a problem with the plunger. Oh well. But, I am having a blast working on it. I also have a 1959 DeWalt 8" RAS. It works perfectly. I have to say though, I believe the Delta design is better - much easier to affect a good setup.
If the machine is old, its hard to tell who took it apart in the past and removed what. Many times, these types of things jam up over time and get removed by some disgruntled woodworker (like guards). If you see no need for it, and the blade still will cut a bevel (but may not lock into 45 degree increments) then by all means get rid of it.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User

wdwkr - are you looking for a factory correct saw, or a "user" ? If the latter, I have a part in a plastic bag next to me that's probably a replacement for assembly #106.

It's not factory correct for your saw, but could probably be easily modified to fool the casual user - assuming it fits.

FWIW, I also prefer the Deltas to the DeWalts, mostly due to the replaceable rods in the arm and forward mounted adjustments. In fairness tho, the 8" Dewalt is probably a homeowner model and the 33-890 is the bottom of Delta's industrial line.

-Mark

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
WEll, I looked back more closely at the exploded view diagram. Turns out, that bar is not for rotating the head, looks like there is some plunger style spring loaded mechanism on the handle to the left for that. What I should have thought of was my old craftsman radial arm saw. It had a similar lever built into the handle that would raise and lower the blade guard, Im guessing this is something similar.

wdwrkr

New User
wdwrkr
Mark - I'm not trying to make it factory correct. Indeed, a "user" is just fine for me.
Are you selling your part or donating it to a worthwhile charity :)

Chris - You are right about the Craftsman saws. I have come across the ones that do raise the blade guard by squeezing the lever in the handle. That's what I immediately thought of when I started on this Delta - unfortunately, not to be so in this case.
Further back in this thread, someone mentioned that manufacturers do not make parts for no reason, but I'll be darned if I can figure a reason for this lever.

sawduster2

New User
Don
I checked both of my Delta 33-890 and they both have the square "rod" in the handle. I can't see any purpose except to give you a better grip in lieu of your hand pulling on two sharp edges of the handle. The rod protrudes out just enough to provide some kind of grip. The rod is fixed with a cross bolt at the bottom and is flush with the top of the handle.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Mark - I'm not trying to make it factory correct. Indeed, a "user" is just fine for me.
Are you selling your part or donating it to a worthwhile charity :)

Chris - You are right about the Craftsman saws. I have come across the ones that do raise the blade guard by squeezing the lever in the handle. That's what I immediately thought of when I started on this Delta - unfortunately, not to be so in this case.
Further back in this thread, someone mentioned that manufacturers do not make parts for no reason, but I'll be darned if I can figure a reason for this lever.
re: 'parts for no reason' - you and Chris need to re-read my first post in this thread ;-)

Send me a private message (PM) and we can figure out if this part will work in your machine.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS