Delta 22-785X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmike44

New User
Mike
I purchased this planer a couple of years ago and use it somewhat frequently I guess. I have a couple of questions. The main question concerns changing the gear box oil. The instructions/diagrams I have seen in the manual and online, show a set screw of some sort on the side of the gear box cover for draining the oil. My planer has NOTHING on either side of the gear box cover. Where is my drain plug? Also where is the oil FILL plug? And not as importantly, where can I get a dust cover to attach to the planer that will allow me to connect my dust collector to it?

Thanks!
Mike

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
There really isnt any reason to ever change that fluid. The amount of wear a planer sees (even in a commercial setting) isnt enough to degrade the oil to require ever changing it. The speeds and gear pressures is too light to breakdown the oil.

Lowlander

New User
Chris
There really should be some sort of plug for draining and filling on the machine gear case. Unless it is a sealed unit. Oil degradation occurs with oxygen or temperature. Make sure the right oil is replaced, some gear oil can be corrosive for certain metal. Did you try contacting the manufacturer to why your machine does not have a drain or fill plug?

Jimmike44

New User
Mike
From my understanding, Delta suggests changing it once a year. I have never changed it, and the machine itself was well used before I got it. But my main concern deals with adding oil, as I see oil residue on the machine below (what I assume is) the gear box cover. So I know it has lost some oil. I will attempt to post 3 pictures. One shows the side of the gear box (where there should be a plug according to all the diagrams/pictures I have seen online). One shows a black screw that is beside the "speed shifting lever", this screw was found completely out of the machine the other day and I put it back in. And one shows the top of the gear box and the assorted screws up there, maybe one of those is a fill point? Delta1.jpgDelta3.jpgDelta2.jpg

DanR

New User
Dan
The screws on top are to adjust the feed through the planer (the tension on the infeed and outfeed rollers). The one to the side of the speed control is the fill, and there should be another for the drain behind the speed control and underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS